or Connect

Posts by hakeber

And it is not in the least bit accidental.  When you see who owns the toys companies that make this...*ahem* stuff...and you dig a little, you can see that there is a pretty disgusting monetary connection between those companies, the media corporations who own their licensing and the food and drug companies that the media corporations either own, hold major share of stock in or who have board members who do.    Marketers have one golden rule:  Get them when they're young...
I am not sure we are but...just as a curiosity of semantics and sociolinguistics...isn't it interesting that feminine things are deemed "girly" (the diminutive form of female) and Masculine things are deemed "manly"?   As mothers I think we are  bound by human nature to protect our children, and our daughters all the more fiercely. Knowing what we know, how can we stand aside and watch them choose a future we know will leave them vulnerable to a world of pain.  We may not...
  It's difficult to appreciate parts of ourselves that we constantly are inured to diminish, and as women forced to accept as less valuable, serious, influential in the eyes of society.  It is also difficult to appreciate the soft, pretty and gentle side of a feminine mind set when it is consistently used against women as a justifiable reason for our continuing oppression and objectification on so many levels.  It is hard to embrace the sparkly and cute, when sparkly and...
That's true, in fact studies show that rough and tumble play help to develop cognitive links in problem solving and our more modern tendency to steer kids away from rough housing (regardless of gender) actually inhibits their development in this area.   It's not easy letting kids just BE, especially in a world where so much intereference from outside influences is par for the course.  
I totally get that part of it.  I think that's why things work in our house, too.  My kids believe consequences, both positive and negative, will be handed out swiftly and consistently.  They also know they will not be arbitrary or punitive.  But then that absolute faith in a forthcoming consequence was why I listened to my parents...when they said jump, I said how high, because I knew if I didn't I was gonna get it, and when I got too big to be spanked or smacked, I knew...
I agree, I think the whole "you will comply" method is a bit harsh, too.  But if it works for some I can totally respect that.      I just have a different parenting style.  So far, not asking for total compliance from my kids and working with natural, and logical consequences, as well as restorative Justice principles has been really really effective. I see follow through as going beyond the consequence up to the larger lesson learned.  It's not just about being...
hmmmmmm, so are you saying if there was no fine or punitive consequence at all you'd wrecklessly endanger your life and the life of other drivers and their passengers or pedestrians and cyclists by speeding and running stop signs?  Ethics, general conscientiousness and basic safe driving doesn't factor in at all to that?   I am pretty sure I don't want my kids making decisions like that, but I am glad that analogy works for your kids.
Yep...and I have found limited LONG TERM success with the methodology of non-logical punitive consequences such as the removal of privileges for non-compliance.   I have found that using logical consequences works far better than trying to ask a child to distinguish between privileges and rights.    If my kids won't give me a lego, rather than have a big power struggle over it I let them know that whoever picks them up and puts them away, will decide where they go and...
Huh...sooooo, what do you do when that bolded purple part goes more like Child: runs away and screams and cries and has an ever loving fit and won't sit let alone quietly?  Then what?