or Connect

Posts by hakeber

That's probably because I am.   On a side note: I am glad that they teach art in my son's school as a separate and real subject in all its complexities and don't count coloring sheets as "art".  Art is a whole subject not just a filler.
    I think that has been expressed a few times, but just to reiterate.  I agree with this. But, I don't think it's art class people are complaining about.  It's the seemingly pointless coloring that is done and never explained or discussed, just used to categorize kids as good or bad students.  Coloring in my child's school, for example is never in the context of art class.  In art class they experiment with different materials, canvasses, dimensions, and rarely use it...
I would keep his eating to a tiled and clean area of the house, like the kitchen until he out grows this phase, then hand him a wet sponge and get him to clean up the mess it makes, pick up the offending food and either brush it off and eat it (remember the clean floor part) or store it.  You can save fruit for cakes and muffins or popsicles.  Actually blitzed stale cookies with a nob of butter make a perfect crust for a cheesecake. :)   I have to tell you though...
I went through this phase with Benjamin.  We found not giving him so much helped a lot.   One birthday present and one Christmas present.  He gets one pack of crayons, a back pack and a snack box and juice bottle in September and one set of beach toys at the start of the summer.  If they get broken or ruined or trashed and they cannot be fixed, they go in the bin and he has to wait a whole YEAR to get a new one.  Everything else bought or given to us by family and...
I started babysitting the neighbor's kids when I was 11.  I was a latch key kid since I was 6, so I'd had lots of verbal training in emergency issues, but then when I was 13 I took the Red cross certification course.    That being said I have never hired a sitter under the age of 17.   I am thinking of maybe using my friend's 14 yr old daughter next week, but we won't be going far, and she will have both our cellphones and her parents' cellphones handy, and she...
Have you checked out the special needs forum here?  There are some great moms dealing with similar issues there.  I think it's the best way to go.   The truth is the people who need discipline in the truest sense of the word are usually the grown ups we send our kids to everyday.  Sad but true.  You may want to consider putting off pre-school until  you can find one that doesn't allow teachers who are prejudiced.  
True, true.   (sometimes even grown ups need preventative measure to behave well...e.g. if I don't have breakfast I am a BIATCH at work most of the morning until the coffee break snack cart comes to the office.  I would like to behave better, but I function poorly on air in my tummy.)    
I don't think there is anything wrong with balancing out the comments.  But I know what you mean...it would be easier to be the mom I want to be if we lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't have to deal with other people's prejudice and socialization.   I live in Bogota where people tell me I am ruining my daughter's life by not piercing her ears, or for letting her dress in jeans or allowing her to get dirty like a boy and that it is irresponsible to allow my boy...
I think with toddlers in general controlling behavior is all about prevention!   If you don't want her throwing dishes that break...don't give them to her...tupperware and spoons is all she gets at least until this phase passes.  I also would not give her whole plates of food.  One bite at a time until she can control her food flinging impulses.   Since you asked for opinions...I personally think I would find a new home for the kitten until your DD is older, but...
I am in the exact same boat, Lazurii!  I seriously could have written this post.  My daughter is obsessed with shoes and I swear if she could articulate it, she'd ask me to pierce her ears.   Maybe I am missing your point but, it's not that I don't let her follow her heart, but I just wish that the presents and variety we receive, were not SO one sided.   I mean, Yes, she likes dress up and that can be fun creative play, but she also loves crayons and finger...