or Connect

Posts by hakeber

It's funny, my sister and I were left home alone as kids, my sister was 8 and I was 6, and because I got home first I was often home alone for 10-30 minutes before my sister's bus arrived.  I guess that's pretty nuts thinking back.   I would not be happy about my son being left home alone until he was 9 or 10 probably.  I don't know...but definitely not yet...what were my parents thinking?!
I think asking directly is better too.  I hate agonizing over how much to give...I always feel like such a cheap skate and we usually give the equivalent of 10 USD in our school (also private but 24 kids in the class).   I usually do so with a clear conscience because DS and I make and decorate tins of cookies for them, too, but the pressure from the other moms can be a bit embarrassing.  I would definitely appreciate a suggested amount with the option to give...
  Sarcasm aside, shouldn't a teacher be explicitly communicating this so that students can offer alternative methods of demonstrating and building these skills and so parents understand the reasoning behind the activity?  It's like my son with his dance classes at school.  He LOVES to dance,he was so excited, but he HATES choreography.  The teacher wouldn't let them have in a 45 minute class even 5 minutes of free movement dance.  Essentially it was coloring in the lines...
I agree.  I also think if a child makes the same mistake in a given piece three times it should not be counted as three separate mistakes.  That's just mean.   But that's another issue.   I agree with Kathy Muggle.  I would say that generally in primary education we assume children cannot understand the reasons for why they are asked to do things and so they say "because I said so." or "Because those are the instructions." and I think, especially if the child comes from...
We're only in first grade so it hasn't become too big an issue yet, but we let him choose three things from his school portfolio each term and dad and I each pick one, and then we either frame them, laminate them, or scan them and send them as gifts or hang them up with the family pictures.
I work full time...and I don't think it makes me a bad mom, just a different mom.  What I may lack in preventitive measures I make up for in cuddles and kisses and special projects.  I too am less stressed when I work.  Being a SAHM is not good for me as a person and this, too, I think makes me a better mom than if I chose to SAH, because I am modelling for my children how to take care of myself and be respectful of my own needs.    There are lots of ways to parent.  I...
We do a pinata and then buy several cheap smaller gifts at the party store and play a game for every child present and rig the games so that everyone wins a game and gets a bigger present, like silly giant sunglasses, or little toy frogs, or cheap mardigras beads.  These things are inexpensive but fun.   We have also just done the pinata thing.   I think of it as a thank you for coming, thing, as well.   The kids parents here spend a LOT of money on the kids...
Maybe you could do some fun gravity experiments, like putting wate in a bucket and swinging it super fast upside down to see how the water stays in the bucket, or watch some videos about roller coaster and ask him to think about why the people don't fall out.   My son tested gravity at the age of 3.5 by throwing a large rock in the air and watching it land on his own head...very bloody and upsetting results...I wish I had known about...
It's just what I notice with my fellow working moms versus my friends who are SAHM (I only have anecdoteal evidence, nothing proven).  The SAHM have more time to "manage" the kids, eating, sleeping, bathroom output, skin issues, possible allergies, creative outlets and physical outlets, etc.  I think it makes it easier for them to prevent the sort of conflicts that results in Time Outs, yelling, and (figurative) hair pulling.  Also having just one child at a time to deal...
Exactly...some kids LOVE to color in the lines,  It gives them great satisfaction to see the image come to life in perfect ways.  This does not mean they are imagination-less drones doomed to be cogs in the machine...it's what THEY are good at and likely that talent will be a great asset to society.  We need people who can fine tune the chaos of this world and fill in the color of the outlines.  Those skills and talents should be celebrated!   But if a child isn't good...