or Connect

Posts by hakeber

I don't think it is the coloring in the lines that throttles the creativity out of them, it is the mthodology used to teach it.  The idea that coloring outside the lines is WRONG or "bad".  The idea that a child is behind and needs to do extra work outside of class (rather than playing) to catch up to their peers' ability to color in the lines.   It's not the activity, it's the pressure and total lack of differentiation for different output, talents, and skills.  It is...
I can see why it  is important to the school system whose main objective is to create law abiding citizens and good heirarchy obeying workers, but I am not the right person to teach this lesson.  I do not follow instructions in my life as an adult (didn't as a child either) and if I think I have a better way of doing something, I will always try that first.  I sort of want my kid to do the same, not just in coloring, but in math, science, writing, analysis, sports...you...
We have a meeting lined up this week and it's on my list. I am coming around to that opinion on the homework issue.  I don't want to be a whiner or ask for special treatment, but really...it's not right.   I would agree with the choking issue, but there is a special assistant trained in First aid on each bus to ride with the kids, and it's not a typical school bus.  It's more like a chartered bus, like the kind you take long distance.  The reason they gave is they don't...
No, he's in the equivalent of the US first grade.  They call it transition, but the syllabus is identical to the US first grade.   But he hasn't reallly taken afternoon naps since he was about 2.   He's 6.5 yo. 
He has about an hour a night, which sometimes takes him 1.5-2, which I personally think is excessive and need to talk to his teacher about it.  I actually found out last night from the head of section that yr 5 (DS is in yr 1), are only allowed to have 50 minutes of homework and if it takes them longer, they are allowed to stop at 50 minutes.  Weird right?  Shouldn't homework get progressively more challenging, not less?   I have tried letting him snack and do homework,...
Ponyo was very popular in our house at that age.    
How do you do it?   He comes home all stressed out because it has been 3-4 hours since his last meal, and so we have a snack and then we make dinner, then homework, and bed time snack, bath, bedtime stories...   He typically doesn't get to sleep until 8pm...   The he's up at 6...   Every single morning is a fiasco.   Last weekend we offered to take him to the amusement park and he said "I don't know...it's been a tough week, mom.  I just kind of want...
First I would lock my bedroom door so he couldn't pee in my room anymore.   Second I would get some carept cleaner and ask him to clean it.   I don't think he means anything by it.  It's just impulse control.  But one way we learn to control our impulses is through facing the consequences of our actions.    DS went through a sneaky phase himself.  He was peeing in the garden though so it wasn't a big deal...but other things he was doing were things like...he...
We use time outs.  Usually it is because one of us is at the breaking point and it is about removing the child for everyone's sanity and safety.   When we are all calm we go in and discuss.   It is a good coping mechanism.   I do know lots of moms that don't need them, but typically these are moms of one child, or children spaced out quite far apart, and are stay at home moms.   I think working parents tend to struggle more with GD.  Just an observation,...
For stuff that seems impossible I would turn it into a science question...I don't think you can, but let's see...let's look up how we can defy gravity.    For stuff that is possible but not allowed, I would go for the "I've already given you my answer on that." approach (repeat ad nauseum)  shrug and put on some music.   I think we miss great opportunities for learning when we dismiss stuff as impossible.  THAT is why the average 3 yo seems so frustrating,...