or Connect

Posts by hakeber

DDC (stalking and) crashing because this may be the only way I can find out what's happening and get a message to you!    I'm praying for you and your little boy.  I'll leave the skype on and near the bed all night.  I have candles lit for you and the boy and we are all sending loving vibes to you...I am so excited for you.   PS...by the next few years you mean like 18 - life, right? LOL   I love you so much, Big sister, I know you can do this!  Love and...
I love that idea.  That's actually really good.  Right now I have outfits hanging in the same section of the closet together.  But the real kicker is the monthly bloat thing.  I go to put on my shirt that just fit me three days before and the space between the top, second and third button are positively bluging.  I had to stitch shut two of my shirts this week.  My DH thought I was insane.  Then I look at the pot bellied teachers at my school with their beer bellies...
I do sometimes, but being a teacher I get over 3 months of vacation a year in total, so it's frowned upon to take additional time and generally it just means more stress when you get back.  It is usually not worth the additional work it requires to plan cover lessons, leave hand outs that don't require facilitation, and try to organize from home all the little admin duties needed done throughout the day.   I usually only take off if I am REALLY ill or if my kids...
I hate having to say that.  It's almost as though I can see the words falling out of my mouth I want to scoop them back up and swallow them whole...except I really need just 5 minutes, or thirty five?  I just want to BREATHE!   This week is much better already, but it feels like it HAS to be Friday tomorrow, not WEDNESDAY!  Still last week was just awful-sauce.  At least this week I feel half human again.   Sad to say, but it really does feel better knowing I am not the...
I don't lower it super unnaturally, but when I am stressed and trying to stay calm my voice usually goes up an octave...or two.  I start sounding like I've been sucking on helium.  I didn't KNOW I did that until I heard it once on tape.  As a general rule, girls respond pretty well to that hearing the stress and fear and empathizing more readily, they can read the emotion and they want to help alleviate the stress.  Boys (and some men I know) tend to tune it...
If you are the mother of a boy or several boys I think it is really valuable to read articles about male development.   Here is one. It outlines some of the physiological differences in the ways boys and girl process our world.  Even if you are not a homeschooler (I am not) it is helpful, and can also give you a fact base to defend your kids on parents night if you feel a teacher is blaming them for not listening, being bored, being lazy...
I find it best to keep instructions to a minimum at that age, so instead of saying "Get your shoes on please, we need to go!"  I say  "Shoes"   And I remove all possible distraction until the shoes are on, basically blocking his path to anything remotely interesting until the shoes are on.  Then I go to the next direction.  "car" and point towards the car.   and so on.   I don't know if your kids are both boys, but I read that boys have a hard time processing...
Does it help you keep your cool to know that 5 is a pretty typical age for a hormone influx that mimics teenager like freak outs, eye rolling and general feelings of being both misunderstood, alone, and nagged and hounded all at the same time?   It doesn't excuse poor communication skills, but it might help you to take it less personally, which can quell the anger and help you come up with punishments that are indeed logical.   For mouthiness we just modelled the...
When we have somewhere we have to be, like now now, I have just dressed DS for him up until about two months ago... he turned 6 in March.   I do not think it is something worth arguing about.   I started giving him choices in what he wanted to wear at about 3, not sooner and that was only between two things.  DD seems more fussed about it, but she is only 19 months and she has no control over when or how fast we get dressed.   I'm just saying...that seems a...
I think he might be too young as well.  At that age I typically did time ins with DS.  Of course I didn't have another baby under 1, so this might not be helpful, but I think hugs tend to diffuse tantrums better and maybe offering an out as well.   The other thing I used to do when things got really bad was offer a snack or a nap.  He almost always chose the snack.  Usually kids that age are not as vocal about their food and sleep needs as an infant and it can be...