or Connect

Posts by hakeber

Gentle discipline is largely about reading a child's cues and trying to interpret what their needs are. Could it be he is over tired and needs a nap sooner, or that indeed he is not in need of a nap at that time at all? My super energetic DS gave up naps at about 20 months.  He simply didn't need them anymore (much to the chagrin of his daycare provider).  On the up side he slept (on his own, co-sleeping never really worked for him like it does sometimes for DD) for...
THANKS!    Sometimes it's hard to admit I am merely a puny human.
I stopped at two because pregnancy does messed up things to my brain and I cannot correct piles and piles of essays on so few hours of sleep without becoming an obnoxiously snarky commentator in the margins.   I just really like my family at two kids.   Mostly though because the mental toll pregnancy takes on my body and the emotional toll it takes on our relationship as a couple is just not worth risking again.  I love the two kids I have but you'd better...
Do you ever find yourself so stressed out by work (which is a job you genuinely feel completes you as a human being) that you have nothing left to give when you get home and then you feel sick with guilt for not being a good enough mom, and then you feel weak and useless for not being able to live up to both your passions despite portraying the image to everyone that you can?  And you're afraid if you admit you need help or can't cope that they may take away the strides...
He said that? I think it is okay to allow a child to experience natural consequences to learn life lessons...a grown up shouldn't be learning behavioral boundaries from a child...as like an experiment.  Apart from which, it's sort of like allowing a child to learn the natural consequences of pulling a cat's tail...sure one day the cat might scratch or bite the child or run away and not want to play with them and the child will learn, but in the meantime, what?  that cat...
Hi again,   I found that most of the behavioral issues with my DS at the age 3.5 was abated through diet and sleep. Especially the entitlement stuff.  It also helped to give him some responsibilities.  So his independence was related to his contributions.    It also helped ME to change my perspective and get real with my expectations.   For one, DH and I took it very personally when he would get that entitled thing going on...we would really seethe to think...
I agree with Linda. I also found the diet in the moening helped with bedtime calmness...we increased protein at breakfast to a minimum of 7 grams and then put DS to bed at 6:30 instead of 8:30 and his tantrums virtually disappeared at that age just from those two things.   I have to run to class.  I'll write more later...DS was about that age when I was pregnant with DD...what a crazy time!
FTR, The methods described in the HTOTB is NOT baby talk.  It is differentiated speech for children at different levels of communication abilities and with differing levels of stress. ETA:  when stress is increased, the affective filter raises in the mind and makes it very hard to communicate and comprehend in any language.  In languages you are still acquiring this can mean a set back equivalent to starting at zero.  This is not a baby talk thing it is a clear...
The only people that judge a mother dealing with a toddler mid-tantrum while they have a baby strapped to their chest are the sort of people whose opinions on parenting don't count.   I have a 19moth old and I assure you what she is doing is normal.  Her need was to explore, and experiment, not touch other people's things, so perhaps picking her up and taking her to the children's section of a zoo or the playground would have been a better thing.   I have not...
The best thing that worked for us was getting a toothbrush with a timer device.  One was a light up thingy and another sang a little song, and for some reason this helped with the resistance that we got from DS.   We also got this blue mouth wash stuff that dyes all the plaque bright blue and the rule is he has to keep brushing until all the blue is gone or let us. He likes it.   We struggled a lot with this from about the age of two as well.  There were more...