or Connect

Posts by bugginsmom

Quote: Originally Posted by karne We delayed. Late summer b-day, so either going to be the oldest or youngest. Also gifted. We still delayed, and had a glorious year basically unschooling.I treasure that time. I did receive criticism, and I have experienced a lot of negativity here on MDC about delaying. But, in the end, it was the right thing to do at that time. Do what works for your child and ignore those who might criticize...
My ds was partially vaxed until 9 months, he is 5.5 now and has never had any of the diseases. Other than the occassional very mild cold, he has never been "sick." Disclaimer: We stopped all selective vaxes when he was dx'd with ex. hydrocephalus, which the neuro would not definitively link to vaxes, but refused to deny that they caused it either . Within the next year after ceasing all vaxes the fluid on his brain began to slowly drain. We dealt with some...
Personally, I am in no way a fan of all day K, and completely happy that my ds will be in half day next year. For us it is about having that extra time to explore his interests, play freely, work on concepts more in depth and just ease into public education and see how it works for us (we have not ruled out homeschooling/private school at this point if we are not comfortable with how the school system works out for our ds.) Now from a professional stand point (I...
My ds starts K this fall as well. We are definitely taking the approach that nothing is final or permanent. If it doesn't work...there are other options to explore, including homeschooling. There are a couple of private schools we would have loved to enroll him in, but financially it is not possible right now. We are not completely ruling it out though as things are likely to change for us financially in the next couple of years. Then again, we may be in love with...
I would never send my child there. I actually laugh at what they consider healthy. I would be livid if someone threw away any part of my child's lunch (though I have to admit that he isn't allowed processed/garbage food, so it wouldn't happen under their guidelines anyway). Not to mention, there is the issue of teaching children to waste food (by throwing it away) in a world where there are people starving simply becuase it doesn't fit some questionable guildelines set...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move We've moved around a lot and K is very different in different places, and the differences tend to line up with the age requirements. Places where kids are younger tend to have more play based K, while places where the kids are older tend to be more read/write/to math on pape Well, I come from a state with a December cut off date and I can't think of one district around with a play based approach. ...
Something to think about is the vast difference in cut off dates across the country. We have chosen to hold our son a year and start K this coming fall. He will turn six in October. In our state he could have legally started this year, but in more than half of the other states in the U.S. he would not have been eligible to start until this fall anyway. There is a great likelihood that we will be moving in the next 5 years and this played into our decision as well as...
Can I freeze kefir into popsicles? I do it with smoothies all the time and have some kefir I need to use up and was wondering if anyone has frozen it with success. TIA!
I think it is inappropriate for kindergarteners. There are so many other ways to start a discussion about this issue. That said, I hope they are teaching much more than the inequalities faced by African Americans as part of their unit. (Which I agree is ridiculous to only teach this during one month, it should be continual throughout the year!) While the inequality does need to be addressed so do all of the amazing contributions and talents of the African American...
Yes, my family and dh definitely support it, as do most of my friends. There have been some comments from a couple of people in the friend group about how easy my life must be. I just smile and tell them I feel blessed, but every way of life has its challenges.