or Connect

Posts by bugginsmom

My son has been completely fascinated by trains for about 4 years now. His preference is for American steam locomotives, but he has a huge love for trains in general so we have done LOTS of research, trains visits, etc. etc. We take weekly visits to his favorite museum that has a good selection of historical trains and a research center where we have found lots of great information as well. Another great place to go for information is a hobby shop. You can usually get...
Quote: Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior Lots of interesting perspectives and replies. I am having a giant (LOTS of guests) dual birthday party for my daughter and her friend- they share the same birthday. Due to a lack luster RSVP response and some other reasons we aren't doing goody bags. I don't like getting them, or giving them, but have felt pressured into it in the past and it's blown my party budget every time and I kick myself- even...
Coat closet? Seriously? There seems to be a lot wrong with that school on a couple of different levels. A kindergartner getting suspended for that? My son would be pulled out so fast and then I would have a lengthy discussion with the administration and school board about proper discipline and behavior management in a school setting. In no way shape or form would my child go back to an environment like that. Hugs, mama!
I have a loud talker too. His hearing is just fine, it is just him learning to control his volume. I gently remind him to use a softer voice while softly putting my hand on his shoulder. That way he gets the physical reminder (touch) with the verbal reminder. Most of the time now all I have to do is place my hand lightly on his shoulder and he will adjust his volume.
We do them and it has always been a nicer type toy/favor in a bag with a healthy theme oriented snack. For the farm theme several years ago, we added an apple with a Dover coloring book and crayons, this year my ds is having a steam locomotive theme and we are giving out those metal heavy duty pencil sharpeners in the shape of a steam locomotive, two train pencils, and personalized note pad (that I made for each child) and bag of homemade trail mix. All of the birthday...
This absolutely would not work for our family value system. I can see how it would be helpful for working parents, but why force it on everyone? My dh and I recently discussed this and decided that if it ever came to be my son would be homeschooled. We are going to try ps, but are very open to the idea of homeschooling based on what we see happening in our public school systems in this country. I taught ps for many years and worry about how it will meet the needs of...
Quote: Originally Posted by amcal bugginsmom - if a student made you food and it was your preference that you not eat it, did you throw it away? or did you put it in a common area for others to eat? I think the issue is that the PP said that teachers throw out homemade treats and that has never been my experience and I would hate for parents to think this is common. In my experience, if the teacher didn't eat the treats, they always put them out or...
My ds is 4 (almost 5) and goes twice a week for 2.5 hours each time.
Last year my ds had four teachers (plus 4 other adults at his school, but I did something different for them). I was able to get some really cool bird feeders made from 100% recycled plastic/wood fiber for about $7 each (Target), which were also made in the USA. I gave each teacher one of those and had ds fill a small bag with bird seed for each one. I also asked him to tell me about each teacher and transcribed his words onto pretty note paper to include with the...
That site is amazing!