or Connect

Posts by chinaKat

Quote: Originally Posted by pbjmama Actually I would say that is quite advanced. Most kids are around 50 words at 2 years and usually 2 word combos. By 3 years they should be able to do 3-5 word sentences easily. That is surprising to me, my kids were using real sentences around the time they turned 2... 4, 5, or more words. Not *every* sentence, mind you, but things like "I want the blue ball" were not uncommon things to hear throughout the day.
We bought a CD that's a recording of rain falling on a tin roof. It's so soothing sounding. We just put it on the CD player and hit repeat when we want white noise. They have other ones with ocean waves and other repetitive sounds... just google White Noise CD.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nala I am so so so upset right now. Now she is calling and posting all over Facebook to help her family in both prayers and financial support. (they didn't have health ins. and were going to pay cash but with the NICU bills I don't know how they are going to do it) Wait, I just saw this. This doesn't make any sense at all. Why would somebody go in for an *early* elective c-section, which is a surgical...
Quote: Originally Posted by mightysahara Oh cmon, TCMoulton, I think you're just trying to sanitize this thread. No one is "treating" the mom poorly, they're just venting their frustration with the situation in an appropriate outlet. You don't think it's a little over the top to say somebody should call cps because a woman chooses not to breastfeed? It's not like she's starving the baby to death. FF was not my choice but I do not think it is...
There is also a tribe for people who like things green, if that's of any interest.
We haven't discussed having her go up a grade at all. I'm still not sure what to do. On the one hand, I feel like it's not atypical for kids to read in kindy -- my two friends with children her age are reading as well. And there's another current thread right in this forum with many poster speaking to their child's reading ability at that age. So I feel like it ought to be addressed in her classroom. On the other hand, if DD is atypical, I'm not sure how much to really...
Quote: Originally Posted by Alyantavid That. I don't think the grades themselves are that important, but the fact that your child is obviously beyond what she's being graded on and the teacher isn't aware of it is. So, what is to be done about that? I brought it up at the conference last month. I said something like "I realize that kids at this age are across the board when it comes to reading level, will you be doing any specialized...
This is good feedback, thank you. It was especially helpful to hear ecoteat's point of view, and that in her experience 4s are very rare at the kindergarten level. This is giving me a bigger picture to look at. There are 26 children in this class and it's the teacher's first year teaching kindergarten (she was formerly a 7th grade teacher). She teaches AM kindergarten to these kids, then goes to another school in the system and teaches *another* 25 kids PM kindergarten....
DD 5yo got her first report card today. They don't use A/B/C/D in kindergarten, they use: 4 - Exceeds grade level expectations 3 - Meets grade level expectations 2 - Close to meeting grade level expectations 1 - Below grade level expectations DD got all 3s. Across the board. With a generic "DD is a pleasure to have in class" comment. Which is fine, I'm happy with that. But I'm sort of curious. The grades are on things like "Identifies upper case letters" and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Denvergirlie Please don't take any tone in my words, it's just a question. I can't imagine that everyone in the country pays that much in heating/ cooling costs that would have a $300 - $400 monthly utility bill. A choice is just that, we keep it cool, we do bump it up when we have guests, but we choose to keep it cool in the house so not to pay a huge bill like that. There are regional differences, I totally acknowledge...