or Connect

Posts by Plady

Jo - I'm sorry, I can totally relate to that loneliness and missing a family funeral has to make it so much harder.  I hope that your sickness is nearly over too, that makes everything worse.   Geo -   Nick -   V day is a rough holiday.  My kids are all excited to get kinder eggs and that sounds like it will suffice, but I dread the day when they start looking for romance.  They aren't going to see it at my house either.  I'm just glad I had a gay bf in high school...
Gah, sick here too.  We ate at our all-time favorite sandwich shop yesterday and within a few hours the girls and I were all puking our guts out.  It was one long night.  I think we may be on the mend now, fingers crossed.  C was invited to a V Day dance with some old friends and I hope she'll be well enough to go. Mommajb - She's heard that we're investigating things.  I was toying with whether to let her have a hint or not but decided to go with the gradual...
Morning mamas, Jo - I'm so sorry about your cousin.  Was it your family or dh's?  And I'm sorry to hear about the change to "indefinite."  That's not a happy word.  Good luck with the applications, school and job.   Shanti - That snow is pretty unreal.  How is everyone handling things like frozen pipes and groceries?    Geo - Oh no!  And the puking is not a bug I'm guessing?   BBM -I'm glad dd recovered, that must have been scary.   Gaye - Sending safe travel...
Real - Sounds like maybe a recall petition on that board might not be out of line?  And what about any open meeting laws?  Sounds like there could be some traction there?    Mel38 - What was the play?  I'm always interested to know what other groups do for high schools or whatever.  The current high school drama coach wants to retire and wants me to take over but it seems like the school district only allows things like The Importance of Being Earnest or Alice in...
Good morning mamas, Checking in from Mexico.  It is very warm and lovely here which is a big relief.  I overpacked warm clothes but I was apparently scarred from our last trip down when it snowed and rained and was freezing the whole time.  What hasn't changed from last time is the weirdness of sharing space with our tenant who is a long time loner with AR tendencies.  It is such a fine line to walk, trying to be grateful that we're allowed to stay (as per the rental...
RM - Glad you all made it through a stressful situation without internal strife, funerals are hard even when they are organized and nobody is sniping about the dead!   MelW - That sounds like a terrific lead!  Good luck on that and on the French immersion program!   Shanti -Wow, that snow and unrelenting cold is crazy to read about, I can only imagine how ready you must be for a thaw!   Bec - Good job on getting the miles in despite the terrible no-good very badness...
Lofty - Here's another link.     Feeling like I should clarify that the teachers were only concerned with academic and social readiness but dh and I could see that there was an obvious social impact of Ali G being so much smaller.  Of course she was also the youngest in the class so she needed to grow in a variety of ways to be on par with her peers, not just heightwise.     As always I'm keeping notes on the conversation here for later.  Speaking of catching up, I...
 Kerc  Hope that you get some time to do favorite things with favorite people today.   On height; I hope it didn't sound like that was a major reason we held Ali G back.  It was really the consensus among her teachers but it was sort of the icing on the cake.  
MelW - No, the Manopause commercial was stolen goods.  We wanted to find something to cover the scene change and that seemed to fit in with the theme of bullying and media and its message to everyone that they just aren't good enough but in a funnier way.   On height and class placement, Ali G being so much shorter than her peers was one factor in holding her back.  We could see in class that she was being treated differently than her classmates (by her classmates) and...
Hi mamas, Fascinating conversation here, as usual.  I haven't given any of this nearly as much thought but dd1 seems to be writing reasonably well, though I don't know if it's her instruction or just natural proclivity + voracious reader.  She recently wrote a play and when I first read it I thought it was okay but not really well written.  I didn't give much feedback though other than to give some brief ideas about a hole in the plot.  But then it was performed and...