or Connect

Posts by mamanicki

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm of the belief that each child requires customized discipline strategies that best fit their own unique personalities and temperaments. Not all children will be good at negotiating. Trying to use one parenting method for all kids is most likely not going to work. Think about age of weaning, even co-sleeping.   In the same vein, perhaps she's been trying for years to show you that negotiating is a parenting tactic that doesn't...
If it's only one child, there is probably something toxic about that relationship. It may not seem that way to you and you may never be able to pinpoint it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right? Passive-aggression can be more off-putting and hard to handle than plain ole aggression.   I am of the belief that if there is a negative type of relationship that you just can't work through, we owe it to our kids to try to eliminate that relationship. We would do...
This gets much easier when your kids are older. Because then the proof is in the pudding. As others have said, GD kids aren't necessarily wild. They are actually self-disciplined so their non-GD'd peers are MORE likely (in my experience) to be wild and crazy in situations where they think they can get away with it (which seems to grow as they get older and test and test and test).   I have been in several situations lately where very violent parents of preschoolers...
It sounds like less of a behavioral issue and more of just an inability to process her emotions. She's still pretty tiny to expect her to process complex situations. Kids who can't process big changes or big feelings can show it in different ways. It sounds like your DD shows it with violent outbursts sometimes.   My first son was like this at that age and what worked best for us was a gentle "holding time". I'd hold him in my arms on my lap just tightly enough so...
Definitely. My 4 year old will play for hours in the tub if I let her. I, too, start with the parent-assisted parts and then let her play. I stay close and if it gets quiet (which sometimes it does when she's mixing concoctions or writing with tub paint), I'll check in. I would NOT run the tub because the noise, alone, would drown out too much sound to make me comfortable.  And I wouldn't worry about the water getting cold. Kids swim in pools and lakes for hours that are...
Don't underestimate the educational value in computer games! There are mindless games but many are incredibly educational. Right now my kids, ages almost 5-16, are all enjoying Zoo Tycoon (lessons in keeping animals alive and well, running a business, etc), Mindcraft (cooperative game play if you find a server, participants work together to create some of the most incredibly creative things out of basic blocks), Cut the Rope & Angry Birds (iphone App - great...
I'm a birth photographer and I think the world needs more of us :)  In answer to some of your questions:   I absolutely agree you should not charge. Before you step foot in a birth you should be comfortable controlling your camera in manual in your own house at night without a flash. This is the best way to practice for a birth environment. It is NOTHING like shooting outdoor portraits of your kids or controlled shots with an external light source/flash. Your camera...
FYI: http://www.ethicanet.org/item.php?re...estyle=default Ethica is pleased to offer its first webinar series for prospective adoptive families as they begin to pursue the adoption process. Please join us as we explore issues surrounding adoption fraud, how to choose an agency, and the implications of adopting from a “Hague” country. Note that space is limited so please register early. Thank you! Webinar 1: February 25th, 7-8:30PM EST “Adoption Fraud 101: What to...
Yeah I don't think it is a "requirement" per se. We never had post-adoption *anything*. Our adoption was finalized in the foreign country and we did not readopt in our state. The foreign country we adopted through does not require post-placement visits, only periodic commitment reports written by the parents. Nothing about post-adoption medicals. In fact, even if you have post-placement visits, I'm not aware of any medical requirement.