or Connect

Posts by tree

About hiring a young person to babysit an infant, I am too inexperienced to claim this as wisdom, but I am getting the idea from watching my 20 month old with older girls that it is quite a beautiful thing for both the baby and the young sitter. My daughter is going to be an only child, and really needs to experience that sibling-like affection and attention. And the young sitter offers a simplicity and eagerness which is different from what I have to offer as an older...
Well, it looks like I'm paying our 13 year old sitter $3/hour. (We/re here in Oregon.) More for when I leave the house, or times when she has to deal with diapers, meals, bad tempers, etc. Basically I'll be available for all these, though I hope to be cleaning or working in the garden or on writing projects. I don't think an older kid would stick with it for this price, so I'll see how this girl lasts. She told me she gets paid as low as $1/ per kid per hour, and I...
Sierra, Yes, I think your strategy is good. I'll ask her what she wants and pay it the first time--I have a feeling she'll be modest in her request. We'll see how good she is, and work it out from there. We can always offer more later, or give bonuses as a sign of appreciation. Thanks.
Thanks for your ideas! I might add that it is pretty hard to get good paying jobs in Oregon, unless you are in the "right field"--???? I have a masters degree and started off self employed getting $7.50/ hour, working my way up to $12 for quite physical work--gardening. No benefits. I agree that babysitting is a position of great responsibility, but I also think that kids get the wrong idea of how easy it is to earn money--money a lot of us Oregon adults have a hard...
HI! I'M AN AT-HOME MOM IN OREGON. MY LITTLE GIRL IS 20 MONTHS OLD, AND I'M READY TO LET HER EXPERIENCE OTHER CAREGIVERS, ALBEIT IN A LIMITED WAY! I HIRED A 16 YEAR OLD GIRL TO BABYSIT, MAINLY WHILE I WAS AT HOME, AND PAID HER $4/HOUR. SHE TURNED OUT TO BE LESS THAN REGULAR/ RELIABLE, THO A NICE GIRL. NOW I WANT TO TRY A YOUNGER GIRL, AND WONDER WHAT TO PAY HER. I'M THINKING OF $2.50 OR 3/ HOUR WHILE I'M HOME, AND $4 IF I LEAVE HER TO TAKE CARE OF THE BABY FOR AN HOUR...