or Connect

Posts by lara1828

Quote: Originally Posted by Belia We have a 12-pocket accordian file- one pocket per month. All receipts go in the proper month's pocket. I also file paperwork and statements from the monthly bills/utilities/etc there. At the beginning of each month I clean out that month's pocket, which will be full of receipts from the previous year. (For example- on August 1, 2009, I cleaned out the "August" pocket which was full of receipts left from August,...
I'm still working on my urban coop, but have some thoughts: From what I've seen tractor set-ups aren't adequate in cold weather areas. For one thing, you need about 4' of indoor space per bird since they won't be going outside when it's -40. Tractors are usually smaller than this and uninsulated. With temps being that cold, you'll need some source of electricity in the winter. You will have to fence the chickens in a run OR out of your garden. But they can run...
My DH is like this too. My family has OCD tendencies and his has what I call "slapdash" tendencies. One thing that has helped with my DH is to (nicely) explain to him that when he leaves a mess somewhere and then goes off to work I'm the one with the "natural consequence." Your trash on the stove example is a good one. He left the trash there, no problem for him. You can't turn on the stove until it's cleaned up. Unfortunately, my DH hasn't generalized this yet. ...
I just couldn't stand the idea of those wet, smelly things in my house and my washing machine. Yuck.
I was married in the Fall. We bought tents and hanging lights on clearance and put them up in the front yard for extra space. I thought it was fun and romantic when evening fell. And we still use those tents all the time years later. For decoration, we used plain white disposable tablecloths sprinkled with confetti. It was a mess to clean up, but very pretty during the event. For decoration, I had parents and grandparents bring photos of their own weddings. I...
Some of those things would definately be illegal where I live (snow removal and lawn care, other "maintenance"). I know this because I had a crazy (literally) landlord once and consulted with the renters advocacy group and an attourney. In any event, I would NEVER sign a lease like that, despite what he told you. The lease says you're responsible for all these things and the landlord can hold you to them in the end.
OP, does it feel like a "break" to you if you only take one child along? I never **wanted** to leave my kids as babies, so I would often leave ds1 with dh while ds2 and I went somewhere. Even now, when they are 3 & 5, just taking one along feels like a break to me. (But I understand this may not be case for everyone) Also, even a quick walk alone when dh comes home from work really does wonders for me. DH is not always happy about this, but he understands the old...
I dunno, sounds to me like you were trusting your mama gut. OTHER people will say you were overreacting...
Find a developmental optometrist www.covd.org The guy you saw was way out of line, but I think he is right to say that much reading is bad for your daughter's vision development. Eyes for Learning by Antonia Orfield is a good book on this subject.
If I see a child throwing sand, I will tell them "No throwing sand!" (after waiting a beat to let a parent intervene). This is a universal rule at any playground I"ve ever been to and is a basic safety issue. A couple times I've told older children (>5) to watch out for littler kids when they are tearing around on the playground equipment. Again, a basic safety issue. A couple of times unsupervised kids have tried to "own" a piece of playground equipment and told...