or Connect

Posts by lara1828

Yay!
OP, you might want to read the book The Black Swan. Scientific evidence doesn't really "prove" a negative (i.e. breastmilk doesn't cause tooth decay). The biggest, best designed study could only, in theory, show that it's very unlikely. If such study existed, your son could still be the "black swan" or the one child in a million for whom it does cause tooth decay. I'm recommending the above book to you because I think it will help you in the future when researching...
Well, it sounds like day weaning is working pretty well for you, right? No need to feel guilty then. There are two people in a nursing relationship, your needs count too. And, I'll say it again, No. She won't nurse forever. No matter how long she does nurse, you'll look back on it fondly and be proud that you did it so long and so well. Good luck to you. Lara
Quote: Originally Posted by naismama We did it with just our little family (dh, dd, ds, and I). She asked for a cherry pie. So I nursed her one last time, took a picture of it, and then we sang "For She's a Jolly Good Fellow" as she stood over her pie. Then she blew out a candle. Then she asked if she could put her whole face in the pie, and we said "Yes!" She remembers that fondly. How sweet! My 5 yo wants to have a weaning party at...
A 9 or 10 month old does not need solids. Neither of my kids was interested until around 15 months. Kids tastes change over time, so I'm not convinced that first foods really matter the much (unless it's junk food). My ds1 started refusing breastmilk in a bottle or cup around, I dunno, 6 or 7 months? I left him with a babysitter about 4-6 hours at a time and he would just wait for the real thing. Honestly, I think it's OK for your 10 mo to wait a few hours for you. ...
I intended to go back to work until about 2 weeks before the end of my (very generous 18 week) maternity leave. Before having ds1, I had just been promoted and won the company "excellence" award, so I really thought they'd work with me to have a part-time schedule. When they said I'd have to be back full-time in 5 months, I said no thank you. I knew I wouldn't feel any different about leaving my infant full-time that soon. At the time my husband had a long commute and...
Quote: Originally Posted by anne1140 Saying that I am "publicly hanging" my children was the most hurtful, because it implies that I am humiliating them purposefully. These "public" chart or ticket type systems are purposefully humiliating children in an attempt to change their behavior. I'm glad you planning to change your classroom for the better.
Be sure it is not a vision problem. www.covd.org
I have 5 yo ds who does these things. When he calls me mean or stupid, I just say "I don't think I'm mean." and move on. Really, he doesn't have the power to make me feel mean or stupid or whatever. I also like this response because I think it models for him how he can respond to name calling. I really do find that trying to talk about these things in the heat of the moment is fruitless. I do talk to him about how words can hurt people's feelings, but NOT when he's...
-walk up the down stairway? Yes, unless there is a big crowd coming down - walk up the slide (if it is safe for them to do so)? Yes, unless there is another child coming down - walk barefoot in the grass in the backyard? Yes, unless I've seen a lot of bees. - pick the flowers in your backyard? etc? Yes, and raspberries, and vegetables. What does that say about your parenting? I dunno, that I try to choose my battles, I guess. And that I think kids have too many...