or Connect

Posts by lara1828

Quote: Originally Posted by D'sMama I don't understand how people survived without internet. I really don't. I have this vague memory of going to the library and searching through book after book for a little piece of information... Ha! it wasn't that long ago, but it is so hard to imagine now. And that certainly includes keeping up with friends. I have friends I hardly ever see, but I know what they're up to almost daily. Yay,...
OK, dumb question time. I bought a bunch of onion sets this spring and let them sit around in my back entry for WEEKS. I figured they were gonners, but I had a big space in the garden so I planted them all (with help from my 3 yo ). They all sprouted. Yay! But I've never planted onions before. When are they ready to harvest? Now? Fall? Anytime in between? I'm in Zone 4 if that matters. Oh, yeah. My dh insisted on cutting off some of the tops to put in his...
I'm the freak tandem nursing a 3 and 5 yo. No signs of stopping! Lara
lemon
If my child's school tried this, I'd one-up them with a party at Chuck-E-Cheese on pizza party day. NO WAY my elementary age child is going to be responsible for homework over the summer. Lara
I've been tandeming for 3 years (!!!). Does your older child eat a snack before bedtime? This makes a huge difference in how oftern mine wakes up and wants to nurse. Are you cosleeping with the older child? Starting the night in his own bed might at least delay his waking. Or not, depends on the kid. Nightweaning never really seems to stick for me Good luck! Lara
Eventually he said he is worried that EnviroKid will turn out like him--too focused on his own comfort to notice the feelings of others--and that's why he gets so freaked out when EnviroKid does something self-centered like this. I agree with PP that your dh really overreacted to these situations. I wanted to focus on the quote above. I firmly believe that children learn the most from the behavior that their parents model, not "teach." So, in the cookie...
Very interesting thread! I just wanted to add that I think the wider spacing of generations also contributes to this problem. My inlaws are close by, but it has been 40 YEARS since they had young children. They just don't remember how to do it. When they do watch my children for a little while, they are exhausted (or they lose one) - then they wonder why I don't ask for help more often. My own parents are further away (an overnight trip), but my dad is old and...
Quote: Originally Posted by briansmama So, I asked her in a very straight-forward manner what she knows about highly regarded educatonal methods like Charlotte Mason, living-books approach, Classical Education, John Holt, Waldorf, etc. Needless to say, she didn't know much. I kept persisting and mentioning the wonderful aspects of each of these methods and the wonderful alternatives to standards-based, state curriculum. I also found a way to sneak in...
Quote: Originally Posted by poorlittlefish This is another way to look at it, or as I would have. When I had my daughter, I was clueless about hunger cues-I never really got it because she ALWAYS chewed on her hands. Also, until I educated myself a little better, if she was hungry 1/2 hour after I fed her it wouldn't occur to me that she was hungry, I would try to soothe her another way. I look back on our first miserable month at the times I...