or Connect

Posts by lara1828

Neither of my children was interested in eating solid foods until about 15 months. Barring any other developmental concerns, I wouldn't worry about it. She does not look too thin to me. Try to relax, she'll get there. Lara ETA: It was much easier to follow my own advice with the second one
Well, I have the same problem. What I've done is put a nozzle on the end of the hose so that the water is only coming out when he is pressing the lever. He still gets all wet and needs to be changed a couple times a day, but at least my yard is not a swamp. I also try to give him "jobs" when we're outside to compete with the lure of the hose. Good luck, I hope someone else has some good ideas Lara
Hmm, once I read Unconditional Parenting I threw out all my other discipline related books - I realized they are just variations on the theme of how to control my children. I do still reread parts of Naomi Aldorts book, she also has some good articles on-line. Just google her name. FYI, not all children tantrum that much. So don't worry too much about a problem you don't have yet My unprofessional, no-book advice on tantrums: Be present and comfort the child,...
Well, I can mostly offer understanding I guess. My kids are 3 and 5 and I no desire whatsoever to leave them overnight. I really don't even understand why people think I would. Maybe I complain too much haha. In this situation, I would just talk to my husband or girlfriend and just tell them I'd prefer a day trip. How do you know about it if it's a surprise? Maybe whoever tipped you off can cover for you a little - let them know you've had a conversation and not...
Last year I got my kids all excited about planting sunflowers. About 20 minutes after we planted them, the squirrels had a feast. Der...maybe I'll start them indoors this year. DS1 requested that we plant pumpkins and watermelon. I swear they were EXACTLY the same size in the fall as they were the day we planted them. Maybe I should water this year? Lastly, I kill rhubarb whereever I plant it. Everyone else in my neighborhood has huge plants their kids tromp...
OP, be careful if you decide to go to an opthamologist. They are often quick to recommend surgery and often inaccurately characterize vision therapy as ineffective. Alternately, an optometrist who does not specialize in developmental optometry may recommend glasses where a developmental optometrist or vision therapist would have other treatment options including vision exercises. www.covd.org www.visiontherapy.org My son started vision therapy at age 4 for...
Talk, talk, talk. Too much talk. I just say, "I don't think I'm stupid." and drop it. My child doesn't have the power to make me feel stupid and I am modeling that what I think about myself is more "true" anyway. At another, calmer moment, I might talk to him about that word being hurtful in a general sense, but again, not make too big a deal over it.
Trade emails too. I'm much more likely to get together with mamas who use email!
I agree that a trial period is a good idea, but I wanted to share that I watched a friend's baby when my ds1 was an infant and I really liked it. I personally find baby care easy and enjoyable (5 yo's, not so much), so my own temperment probably contibuted to my positive experience. When the babies got a little older, they loved each others company and they are still friends at age 5. I even felt kindof wistful the last time I saw him - he used to let me rock him to...
I live in the city and I never have any trouble finding someone to come by and pick my tomatoes when we are on vacation! One year a friend of my even picked them all and made spag sauce for a shelter. I say plant the tomatoes!!