or Connect

Posts by riversong

My dd is 8 years old.  She has never been a skinny kid, but always looked healthy and seemed to be a healthy weight.  In the last 5 months, she has gained 10 lbs.  She has grown taller, but I'm not sure exactly how much.  She looks much heavier and has gone from a size 7 to barely fitting into a size 10.    My main concern, aside from her self-esteem, is that she doesn't seem to notice when she's full.  She eats large amounts at meals.  Last night at dinner, she ate...
Thanks for your support, lauren.
I lost my mom and dad last year, to two different illnesses.  I know exactly what you mean about wanting so badly to feel someone's presence after they're gone.  My mom was the one I was close to and I miss her so much that I cry almost daily even though she died a year ago.  I'm also sorry that I didn't spend more time with her.  She was sick, but her death was sudden and unexpected.  I thought I had more time.  It's so hard to let go of the guilt.  Just wanted to let...
About 2 weeks ago, dh confessed that he has a problem with marijuana and had been using it frequently behind my back.  He had a problem with it in the past and went to treatment for it, but then started using again about a year and a half ago.  The first time he had a problem he was single.  Now he has a wife and three kids.   I should preface this story with the fact that dh was sexually abused as a teenager and has a diagnosis of PTSD and of bi-polar.  We're not...
My dd is 7.5 and about 52 inches tall and around 50 lbs.  She can't legally ride without a booster till she's 8 here, but I wonder if that would be safer than sitting in an expired booster!   I will buy a booster and give it to my friend for dd to use in her car.  And I'll suggest that her son sit in it whenever dd is not in the car!  She can just keep it in her car till the end of the school year.
No, they'll never all be in the Fit at the same time unless the Sienna breaks down.    I use the Fit to take ds1 to school by himself or dd to ballet by herself or sometimes I have two kids in it on the weekend.  When they're older and don't all need to be in car seats and boosters, they can all ride in the Fit together.      
I borrowed boosters from my carpool partner today (the only two she has) and they're both expired.  One expired 2 years ago and the other looked really old, but I didn't check for a sticker.  These are the boosters dd sits in when she rides in my carpool partner's car twice a week.    So, what would you do in my situation?   Buy a new backless booster and give it to her for dd to use when she's in her car?  I don't mind the expense of doing that, I just don't want to...
Thanks for your advice, Maedze.  Uninstalling the Frontier every time we switched between kids sounds like a huge hassle.  We'd have to do it a few times a week.  Maybe we can just use the Frontier as a booster for both kids when they're in dh's car.  It's not ideal for our 5yo, but it's too hard to switch back and forth between kids any other way.  I don't want to buy another carseat and booster.  I'd prefer a combination seat because it can be used for longer than the...
We have three kids, ages 7.5, 5, and 2.75.  In our Sienna, they're in a Parkway SGL booster, a Frontier, and a rf Boulevard.    We need a seat for dh's car, a Honda Fit.  Our youngest ds's Boulevard will expire in 1.5 years, so I want a seat he can use as a 5 pt harness and then a booster.  For the next 1.5 years, till he needs it, dd and ds1 will use it in dh's car.    I still want ds1 (the 5yo) in a 5pt harness, so we'd install it that way.  Could dd use the...
We're going to Iowa this summer to bury my mother, which will not be very cheerful and fun, so I'd like to find some fun stuff to do with our kids (2, 4.5 and 7 y.o.) while we're there.  We'll be in Waverly, which is very small, but close to Waterloo.  We'll be driving from an airport somewhere (not sure yet) and we'll have a car to drive to anything reasonably close to the Waterloo area.  We're open to lots of things- children's museums, nature hikes, water parks,...