or Connect

Posts by MaterBum

I think you can do it without a group. But I must say that my kids and I found this year, with a small, secular group, much more satisfying and interesting. The big difference for us was just having other people to introduce ideas and take turns planning cool field trips. It definitely meant we did more than we would have on our own again. As others mentioned, you might have to look deeper than publicly listed groups. If you pm me where in Ohio you are (I'm in OH,...
We also love Make N Break in our house! Also, Word Pirates, Dicecapades (there's a 6+ version and a 12 + version), and Spy Alley. I know you said you don't like card games, but we really love Sleeping Queens and ThingaMaBots in our house. I just keep them up so they don't lose the cards. And Set is a great pattern game with cards. HTH!
Couldn't read and not give you a .
Thanks for the input so far. I do agree that us'ing is about a child-led education at heart. And she is motivated. But she's not so independent about it. I don't think I made that totally clear. She wants me to sit with her while she solves a problem or puzzle. If she's ready to read, she wants me to sit next to her so we can read silently together. I have her involved in a Reader Theater that meets once a month and a geography group. She does art lessons...
I really could use some help balancing my ideals with what my dd1 seems to be seeking/requiring/wanting/craving (don't know what the right word is). My dd1 is a pretty serious, intense kid. For example, she loves swimming. So I signed her up for the homeschool section of lessons. The lesson is an hour long with 40-45 minutes of serious lap swimming and new stroke development, and the rest of the time free play. During the time that all the other kids are playing,...
Another suggested reading I'll throw out there is Einstein Never Used Flashcards. It's a wonderful collection and examination of early childhood studies that continually suggest that play and love make for well-adjusted, happy, thinking, learning teens and adults. And as someone who sent her first to preschool for 6 weeks because such arguments were made to her, I can assure you it wasn't all happy, fun time for dd1 (or me!). It was a great program in the area, and...
Your kids would fit right in with mine! We meet with a few other families on Thursdays to let our kids play, etc. ALL the kids...ages 4 to 12...played the dog game for a couple of hours! There were mean dogs, chasing little ones and biting at their tails; there were hungry dogs, always begging for food (rocks the kids were putting in bowls), yippy dogs, growling dogs. The kids had a blast. When we got home, my dd1 still insisted she was a little dog, and curled up...
Old Yeller. Where the Red Fern Grows. Greek myths. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.
The Seven Silly Eaters is great fun. So is the classic, Harry the Dirty Dog.