or Connect

Posts by aentwood

We are going to be living in the Ithaca area soon and I am interested in exploring providers for my children (3 and 5).  Are there any recommendations for pediatricians or family physicians who are welcoming to non-vaxing or delayed vaccination families?  Feel free to PM if need be.   Also, while I'm at it, any suggestions for a pediatric dentist?  It didn't look like there were many in the area. Thanks. Aubrie
Thanks for all the advice.  It is amazing to me how much regulation NY has that I never realized growing up there and only have thought about it after living in Maine for 10 years and now being a parent who makes alternative choices for her children.  Glad to hear it all CAN be done, though!  We aren't sure yet if and when we are moving but we were thinking Ithaca area...I figure once we know a little more about whether this is a reality for us, I will start looking in...
While originally from New York, we've lived in Maine 10 years and are thinking of returning to NY to be closer to family.  We have two boys, 5 and 3, and are un/homeschooling.  We also don't intend to vaccinate them anytime soon.  Anyone out there with advice for the practicality of either of these issues in New York?  Maine is pretty lax on homeschooling, meaning there aren't a lot of hurdles to jump through and it looks like NY's laws are a bit more stringent.  Maine...
Yes, it did seem to start with him preferring one side over the other. I have an IUD (non-hormonal) so I am 99.9% sure I am not pregnant. I did just look up some herbs and will try fenugreek tomorrow, I think. I was quite shocked when it first happened because a) I have always had a lot of milk and b) my breasts seem to feel just as "full" (not that full really explains them at 2.75 yrs post birth!) as they did before he started saying this. I guess I assumed they...
My 2nd son will be 3 in October. He is my only nursling right now as I weaned my oldest when he turned 4 (they are 2-years apart). Over the past month or more he has been increasingly saying that he can't get any milk out and insisting on changing sides a zillion times during nursing. I have started to limit the number of times we can switch sides and at first that was okay even though he still said he couldn't get any out but now he is becoming more frustrated with the...
I always knew I wasn't alone! Thank heavens for this thread! Now I'll have to start spending more time on MDC again. My DS just turned 4 a month ago and he was pre-four at about 3.5 when something changed overnight. Now that he is actually four it is even worse. We are fighting all the time and I never know what a good consequence is. He's moody, whiny, cranky, rude, mean, annoying, at his worst (gee, I guess that's me too!). But he's sweet, funny, loving at his...
I have looked at the stickies in this forum and subforum and found a huge listing of books in the unschooling subforum to look at. However, can anyone help sort out what books will be useful in actually making the DECISION to homeschool or unschool? I have just decided to start reading what I find in the library and I'm not sure that's the best approach. My biggest burning question right now is: Can you homeschool/unschool and have 2 working parents (even if 1 is only...
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Seems like we are doing many of them and I might have to try the mittens thing but since my DS LOVES mittens and puts everything on his hands as a mitten this might not work...we'll see! I think the key is that I have to prepare to be vigilant and have clear actions in mind for changing the situation. I have stopped him, redirected, talking about gentle touches and that pinching hurts but sometimes it isn't enough so the...
Help! My 18mo is being very abusive towards other children, his older brother, and sometimes myself and his dad. He sometimes bites (usually just his brother) but his bigger thing is to sqeeze, pinch, and scratch other kids usually on their cheeks. He is not doing this out of anger, frustration, or any of the typical things you'd think a toddler might "act out" for. He will be playing or watching and then just go up to the child and pinch. Sometimes it starts with a...
Sorry, I posted this in the general breastfeeding area and now realize it might fit better here. Have you seen this? THe Case Against Breastfeeding, The Atlantic, April 2009 ??? She does bring up some interesting points worth discussing but I still think she's misplacing her frustration with being a working modern-day mother onto breastfeeding. It's frustrating to have to see this when we have to work so hard against formula marketing and living in a bottle-feeding...