or Connect

Posts by kaliki_kila

61. Christ the Lord: Road to Cana by Anne Rice This one was just okay. I thought the first book was so much better. This one had too much going on at the beginning and you have to wait until the very end to see how it all ties in.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bufomander I have a Word document on my desktop that I add to. The problem is that once it goes on there, it takes a while to put into the library system, since meanwhile as space appears in my library account it is filled with more recent recommendations....I'm so silly. I do this too 60. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith Loved this one. It painted a very vivid picture of what life must have been...
Weren't the older girls spoon-feeding Hannah and giving her a lot of help/talking her through eating her dinner? The boys didn't get any help. Hannah wouldn't have been able to get a cupcake either if they had treated her like the boys.
I like his music, but not him as a person.
Yes. I would have married him sooner than I did.
Just read The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell. I picked it up from my library pile just meaning to flip through it for a bit before bed, but it kept me up until 3 a.m. and I read it all the way through. I thought the last chapter on addiction was fascinating - he makes a pretty strong case for allowing teens to experiment with smoking. I have heard of a lot of the case studies before in psychology classes, but the way he...
I think it is very common for parents to play favorites... more common than we think... I have seen it time and time again. Some parents hide it better than others. In my family, it is clearly obvious who is the favorite and the rest of us (I have 4 siblings) are treated like we are nothing. The way I cope with it... I have gone my own way and I just don't care anymore. It's hard to accept, but there's really nothing you can do to change how your mom treats you and...
I would love for our library to have either the freeze option or an option to have a "wish list" of the books you want to eventually get around to reading, but don't want to put on hold yet. Then, when you are ready to read the book, you can move it from your wish list to your hold requests. I'm currently reading The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. It's pretty amusing. I hope he actually gets something meaningful out of the experiment, though. I tried to...
58. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville Been chipping away on this one for about a month now. I enjoyed it.
Quote: Originally Posted by snozzberry #41 What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Eliot That's my favorite book on child development! I liked the experiment on spinning the one twin infant slowly in a chair for several sessions and not the other - the one who spun reached all his motor milestones earlier. And the stuff about infants and emotions/research showing that newborn's brains...