or Connect

Posts by kaliki_kila

Quote: Originally Posted by Fiestabeth Yay! Someone else liked it. I read this for a book club and I was the only one who liked it. I felt exactly the same about it. They all thought it was really boring. I'm glad you liked it just as much! I thought it was profound and moving... boring? No way... I guess if you are in the mood for a John Grisham thriller then this isn't for you. But this is the type of book that goes beyond all that and...
57. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice This book was beautiful. It is written from the perspective of the boy Jesus at 7 years old, growing up and slowly coming to the realization of who he is. I was pretty skeptical about this book at first, and I honestly believed that Anne Rice was just doing this for attention. But her story of Jesus is very simple and earthy, with very little embellishment and a lot, a lot of historical and theological research. The...
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch Moby Dick by Herman Melville The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway A Pigeon and a Boy by Meir Shalev
55. Rumspringa by Tom Shachtman This one is about the running-around period that begins at age 16 when Amish youth are allowed to drive cars, listen to rock music, drink, smoke, etc. before they decide if they want to join the church for good or go out and live in the world and be shunned from the community. 90% eventually decide to join the church. 56. The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier Historical fiction set in 15th century Paris about a painter who...
Quote: Originally Posted by NYCVeg The fact that I've only read about 15% of the list, given that I'm essentially a professional reader I want to be a professional reader!
Quote: Originally Posted by JERENAUD I've read 27, and I too have started several that I didn't finish. The chronological aspect reminds me of the list from 'the well educated mind' - theirs has a bit less diversity in the origins (very Euro centric) but far more manageable in terms of size! Erica That one looks pretty good. Only 117 books and includes some nonfiction. http://www.listsofbests.com/list/18321?page=1
Quote: Originally Posted by laylasmommy On a funny side note. I just watched the marathon and saw the early episode where Kate gets the tummy tuck. As she's preparing freezer meals she is saying that she does this so that she knows they're eating healthy etc..instead of chicken nuggets every day she then says "they've never even HAD fast food" Cut to about 2 minutes later when she sends Mady to wake Cara and there on their nightstand is a medium...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leilamus ok, totally just downloaded that and started to check things off. damn, 1001 books is a LOT! There are a few just in the beginning that I have in my home right now and have tried to read and couldn't get into (Middlesex and Atonement). Anyone else have books like this? What do you do? Maybe I should start another thread on this.... Sometimes I will tough my way through a book even if I am not enjoying...
I just finished Sisterchicks Go Brit! by Robin Jones Gunn. All the Sisterchicks books are stand-alone, so you can read them separately. They are always about two middle-aged women who take a trip together somewhere in the world - Hawaii, Australia, etc. Also read The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett and I did not like it, although it only took about 5 minutes to read because the book is so small and the margins are huge. None of the characters were fleshed out and...
OMG. The next one where "sandra" leaves weird notes all over an office she doesn't even work at... hilarious! “please respect that women are scientificaly proven to be cleaner and do not use our bathroom if you are men.”