or Connect

Posts by hydrangea

Has she lost weight or stopped gaining?
Well, as I said, it turns out she has asperger's, and this was one of the earlier signs. I don't mean this is the case with every child who is taking a while, but it is worth staying aware of how your daughter is managing other developmental milestones and mentioning what's goign on to your doctor.
 It actually sounds a lot like my child on the autistic spectrum and others I know.
I have one daughter with Asperger's (she's very high functioning, many people have no idea) and one daughter who hasn't been diagnosed with it but has some big similarities with her sister. They are both VERY uncomfortable with physical touch and have always been and are uncomfortable expressing emotions. It's a typical trait of the autistic spectrum.  Doesn't mean they don't love and appreciate me. They're just not comfortable with expressing it physically or with typical...
Well I actually wrote that way back in 2002, and that 3yo daughter is now 15. How funny that Mothering is still finding me with responses.   I'm guessing Elsa's post below is spam -- otherwise why would she have found this ancient thread and post for the first time with an unidentifiable link (don't click on it!).   But since I'm here, I'll give an update. interestingly, it turned out that the reason she was late to use the potty had an explanation. Turns out she has...
Some good answers. And I think sometimes people have to figure it out for themselves -- and not because someone else is embarassed for them. Please consider whether it is a serious problem for her or something that she'll probably figure out on her own soon enough and whether perhaps this bothers you more because YOU are embarassed. But if it is really about not relating to the other girls in her class or about wanting to feel like she is different or in control in some...
What's the difference between a workbook and a maze book or a coloring book or crossword puzzle book or a sticker book? Workbooks can be really fun for children who have never been pressured by a parent or anyone else to work in one. We have a bunch. Whenever we go to Staples, the girls beg me to get them one. We have them from other places too. They keep them with all their other write-in and draw-in books and pull them out when that's what they are in the mood for. ...
Oh, and I wanted to post that I am not shocked about this at all. HSLDA is known as a Christian group. I have read about their bias for years. The problem is that I don't think they make it clear to the media or prospective members that they are Christian. Therefore it seems like they are speaking for all homeschoolers when, in fact, it is only for a percentage.
Dragonfly, I'm coming out of posting dormancy to share that my experience is like yours. I know a lot of homeschoolers, and very few of them homeschool for Christian reasons. Many that I know do happen to be Christian, but that is not the reason for their decision to homeschool. I don't know where, but I have seen statistics that Christian homeschoolers are the biggest piece of the homeschooling pie, but that others are gaining on them. One thing that the...
You'll never see a polar bear and a penguin together in their natural habitats. Polar bears only live near the north pole and penguins only live near the south pole. My girls love pointing out this flaw whenever they see it.