or Connect

Posts by Tishie

As I said, a toddler can have obsessive and compulsive behaviors, but there's a difference between exhibiting some behaviors, and having a disorder. I did not say that parents can cause OCD. However, if a child is prone to anxieties, being anxious about the anxieties isn't going to be helpful. My problem is with the trend to diagnose every behavior as a disorder or a symptom of a disorder. If a child develops OCD, then certainly do what's needed to help them. But if a...
I want to stress that if this pattern has persisted for a long time, there will be brain differences, but that does not mean one was born that way. There may be innate differences that cause some of us to be more prone to anxieties than other people, but OCD is a specific expression of anxieties, IMO. Even if a child were to develop OCD as an adolescent or adult, I do not see any utility in labeling them as a toddler. If the behavior were something I were very concerned...
A 2 year old can display obsessive and compulsive behaviors, yes, but they absolutely cannot have obsessive-compulsive disorder. Learning routines is an important stage of development for toddlers, and to pathologize a normal stage of development is not helpful for the child or the parent. As I said earlier, children pick up on our anxieties, so worrying about normal behavior and stages is not useful. OCD is an anxiety disorder, so imparting anxieties regarding...
The title question cannot be directly answered, as there is no such thing as OCD in a 2 year old. This is all well within the normal range of behavior for a small child. OCD is developed over time as learned behavior to adapt to anxieties; the behaviors become maladaptive and begin to interfere with life and functioning. Toddlers experiment with independence, crave routine and structure, and so forth, so if you don't over-react (or react at all, really) your child will...
Yeah, doesn't sound like you should have to convince him. We decided to get married 4 weeks after we met, moved in together a month later, and got married 2 weeks after that. It's been 14 yrs. It depends upon you - if you know it's right, you know.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitsune6 Same here except we are SE of Seattle. We're in a brand new development so everyone is just getting to know each other. That said we do have a known sex offender but everyone knows what house he lives in and what he looks like. My kids don't play the the cul de sac by themselves yet since they are so young. I'm not sure if I'll let them when they are older because of the sex off. but plenty of kids are riding their...
Quote: Originally Posted by peridot83 "Married" conveys a sense of family that partnered doesn't. I don't agree with this, but I'm sure many do. All the more reason to stop using the term until everyone can be married if they choose to.
Boise, Idaho
Quote: Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah I stand behind the thought that happy parents make a happy family. I'm not a martyr, and don't feel the need to be. Yep. In answer to the OP's question - no, hardly ever in fact. I don't think sacrificing yourself does any favors for anyone. I believe that one should meet one's own needs first, and then they can more easily meet the needs of their kids or whoever else. It's like in an airplane...
I went into $300k debt to buy a house, and $60k more debt for my college education. I consider these things to be "good debt" and worth it. It sounds to me like your scenario falls under the same umbrella. Debt is just debt. It isn't the end of the world, and I really can't stand it when people act like it's a moral failing to have debt.