or Connect

Posts by lorijds

Thanks for the welcome, and the perspective!  Yes, in my head I know I need to forget about distance, or the fact that I need to walk a little in my longer runs.  I just need to hear it a couple ten times.   Thanks for the app advice!  
I would like to join (rejoin?  I think I posted here a couple of times several years ago).   I'm totally overweight, and I'm signed up for a half marathon in mid April.    I can run 3 miles without stopping, I do BodyPump 2x a week, and I run anywhere between 1-3 miles 2-3 times a week.  I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, though.  I've been doing this for several weeks (seriously since the beginning of January).  I haven't lost any weight.  It still sucks to...
I'm looking for some recommendations for iPhone apps.   I would like something like fitday or spark people, that counts calories *and* monitors nutritional intake (like your vits and minerals, etc).   I'm also interested in what apps you all use to monitor your exercise.  I've been running a bit, and I do yoga and a weight lifting class, with some walking and exercise biking thrown in.  Does Nike + work well for you (even if you don't have a chip in your...
Honestly, if you are questioning whether it's appropriate, please don't bring her.   I've been to conferences where it was okay (midwifery, lactation, that sort).   I've also been to conferences/classes where people brought their babies or kids, and despite being quiet for children, they were still children and it was terribly distracting and annoying.     It was simply rude and disrespectful of the other participants, who paid hundreds of dollars to be there....
The only kids music we ever listened to was the stuff that was musically solid, with great musicians and writing.  We listen to mainly alt country/bluegrass and alt rock at our house, and my suggestions will definitely reflect those tastes.   Anything by Dan Zanes is good, but my favorite is Night Time: http://www.amazon.com/Night-Time/dp/B000QZXZX8/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1294981450&sr=8-17   I like the Terrible Twos, as well.  The band is actually the New...
How about Dr. Harris?  She's not Dr. Murphy, but I think she's probably 2nd best.  She's nice, personable, and is typically very respectful of your wishes.   For a ped, we go to Dr. Rundquist.  While I'm not a fan of some of her partners, my daughters LOVE Dr. Rundquist.  She isn't crunchy at all (although she is a huge bluegrass fan...so she maybe she's a little crunchy after all), and she respectfully disagreed with my decision to delay vaccinations.  Key here is...
For those of you who are Kindle users (particularly for you newbies like me who don't already know this):   I struggle to find the latest free kindle books.  I finally stumbled upon the following website, which offers a newsletter twice daily with the latest free books.  Today there were several health care oriented books, and since I'm a nurse that is right up my alley. I ended up downloading 16 free books.  Now I just have to find the time to read them...
We've always done this.  It wasn't always easy, but it was important to us that we not have day care, and financially it would have been very difficult to pay for day care, anyway.  I worked weekends and/or nights, dh worked during the week, days.   It was just like any other decision we made.  We decided it was the best for our circumstances, and we did it.  Our marriage didn't suffer, we don't grow apart.  I think it helped create a great bond between dh and the...
I love love love my hospital floor nursing job!  I work on a medical floor.  I love my coworkers, I love the pace, I love the responsibility.  I don't feel like I have too much work for the allotted time (though some days are very rushed).   I work 3 12 hour night shifts a week.  This is great for our family.  One parent is always home.  Our kids are older now, and I considered going to days, but I think nights suits me better and the hours are still better for our...
Can I point out, if the teacher doesn't know it's not enough time for your DD, how can she help her or abide by her IEP?  If she asks the class "Did everyone get that?" and dd doesn't speak up for herself, how does the teacher know?  They can't read minds.  Sometimes they guess well, sometimes they are clueless, but whatever the case, there is a responsibility of the child to advocate for herself as well (which is sounds like she is thinking about doing).