or Connect

Posts by lorijds

Unless things have recently changed, Suzanne does not have hospital privileges any longer.  My friends who have gone to her liked that she was a "background" kind of midwife.  She is not always very hands on, which a lot of people like.  She seems very committed to homebirth.   The complaints I have heard about her is that she is extremely disorganized and has poor communication skills.  She does not have a warm, fuzzy, friendly personality, which does not bother...
There were a few scenes I really missed, and I can't believe it would have taken too much to include.     One, the scene of the Dursley's leaving, it just seemed wrong.  Too fast.  No lead up.  No reason for them to leave so quickly and quietly!  Why couldn't Dudley and Harry have shaken hands and exchanged a few words?  Why couldn't the reconciliation that took place in the book be briefly hinted at in the movie?   Why couldn't they have shown Luna's room?  The...
Thanks for the responses.  We have to fly for a family function in June, and I was nervous about the possibility of subjecting my modest teenage daughters to an invasive search.   I will most certainly discuss this with my daughters ahead of time, and let them choose which search option, but I will recommend the scanners to them.  We do not fly even on a yearly basis, and they have never had xrays, so their exposure is minimal so far.  I, on the other hand,...
I second Billy Collins.  I love reading his work, and I enjoy listening to him read his poetry.  It's great.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Collins   He edits two poetry anthologies.  They might be a good way to expand your poetry horizons.  Poetry 180 and 180 More are the titles.     http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-180-Turning-Back/dp/0812968875/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1290007872&sr=8-8
If you can do the BSN program, I'd recommend it.  The ASN is fine, but if your goals include eventually getting the BSN, why not just go ahead and get the BSN?   I was an LPN for 6 years and have been an RN for 4.  I'm slowly getting my BSN.   I absolutely love being a nurse.  I disagree with your statement that it is a family friendly job, if you don't get a hospital job.  Working in the hospital is great with a family.  I work nights.  Three 12 hours shifts a...
We did enriched whole soymilk (Eden soy extra) with a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses added. I chose the eden soy extra because it had adequate amounts of fat and protein. A lot of the almond and rice milk have virtually no fat or protein. I added the molasses because I was concerned she would become constipated with the change (she had a tendency towards that when she was little), and I thought the added nutrients from the molasses couldn't hurt. Goats milk wasn't...
While LPNs are often not fully utilized, MAs have an even small area of practice: the doctor's office. LPNs are able to work in some hospitals, in physicians offices, nursing homes, home health, etc. I honestly feel that most MA programs are scams. You pay a lot for a very limited job. Unless the program is actually through a community college or reputable 2-4 year college or university, you education doesn't count for anything. You often don't earn college...
Also, while the lovely bones is horrible, particularly for a parent, most kids your daughter's age are ready to be confronting and contemplating the negatives of our culture. Junior high and even elementary school reading lists contain books that have some very strong themes. In 9th grade, my daughter read the Kite Runner for her lit class. In 6th they read some book about an experimental society, where people were assigned roles and "reeducated or eliminated" if they...
As with music and movies, we do not censor books in this house. We discuss them. I'm not forbidding anything like that because I think they'll read it anyway (I don't see/control them 24 hours a day), we all have different tastes and levels of interest and maturity in our educational and entertainment materials, and I'd rather have a relationship based on open dialogue than censorship. I think this philosophy permeates other aspects of our parenting. I give my...
I agree with Holes and The Last of the Mohicans. I'd add The Milagro Beanfield War to the list. It's not that the book is bad...it just is bitter and too sad somehow. The movie is really very good. I love it.