or Connect

Posts by lorijds

Quote: Originally Posted by MusicianDad We don't censor music. But we do talk about it. Yup. Same with books. If I find something truly offensive or tasteless, there will be a conversation, for sure. Why I find it offensive, why others may find it offensive, why do you like it, etc. If it's too much for me (I've never had this situation, but I suppose it could happen) the only censorship I would impose is that they listen to it on their...
My daughters are three years apart, and it's awesome. Starting when the youngest was about a year old, they played together very, very well. When the oldest turned 11, she started to outgrow "playing", and by the time she was 12 or 13, while they were friendly to each other, they were just at such different developmental ages, they weren't really friends who hung out. Now that they are 15 and 12, they are growing closer again, have similar interests, and have started...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristaN So, do you all think that I will/would notice when dd actually does start to smell bad enough that she needs deodorant? I don't know. At one point, my oldest daughter started smelling SO BAD I begged her to wear deodorant and a little body spray. It was awful. Now it's not so bad, and I don't know if it's because I'm used to it, she is doing better in the hygiene area (you know, using soap and a...
Nursing is so broad in it's scope, of course there will be aspects with which you will disagree. I worked for years as a nurse at an independent birthing center. *Loved it*. Did I agree with my work duties 100% of the time? No. I didn't agree with the parents' decisions for their babies 100% of the time, either. But it didn't make me hate my job or think that I needed to get out of nursing. Respect for the autonomy of your patients is so important. Now I work...
I agree, Lisa. And obviously, based on my response, I am not a big follower of Jean's theory of "Caring".
Song of Solomon. I have waited years to see that book made into a movie.
I hate theory, and I hate theorists. What a waste of time, money, and energy! I'd as soon punch Jean Watson in the face than shake her hand. Theories are purely a means to justify excessive classes on a BSN level as well as masters and doctoral dissertations. That's it. Give me a great, high level class on lab values, pharmacology, advanced patho, ANYTHING. Dump the theory classes in the toilet where they belong. Don't forget the courtesy flush.
I feel like our kids are amazingly independent, hardworking, smart, self motivated, and in general incredible individuals. Is it because the co-slept until they were ready to leave the bed? Is it because we raised them with minimal (and episodes of no) TV? Is it because we encourage music education in their lives? Is it because their father and I have a loving, affectionate relationship? Is it all the travel we have done as a family? Is it all the reading aloud we...
The IT Crowd. You can instant watch it on Netflix. It is uproariously funny.
Spend at least 6 months in your new position (the tele/stepdown unit) before you even start looking for other jobs. No one will want you if you start now. You've only shown them that you can't hang without taking the time to find out if you really can, kwim? For a hospital or unit to feel that they've gotten a fair deal out of the thousands that they spent to train you, you MUST work a minimum of 6 months (though 12 would be better and look better on your...