or Connect

Posts by caitryn

I think it depends entirely on your family, each individual child, and what you want to vaccinate against.  For instance, if you are worried about rotovirus, there is a very limited time frame in which you can even get the vaccine, and the maximum start time, (for two or three doses) is 12 weeks of age.  I personally believe that birth is the wrong time to give any vaccine, but considering Hep B can be easily transferred in a hospital, I imagine that is why they want to...
I don't know about any DVDs, but a book I really like is The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears (don't remember which Sears.)  Everything I read in it was presented in a scientific/medical way with the names of the vaccines, how many doses are given, why they are given, what can happen if the disease is contracted, and potential side-effects of the vaccines from the very minor itching to the more severe of seizures and death.  He also gives all of the versions available (at least...
LOL  Yeah.  I'm discovering that it's getting harder and harder for me to move around.  Moving too much causes me to have more of those pains!   I also just found out this morning that I'm 2cm dilated.  I wasn't too surprised given how many of those pains and contractions I've been having over the past few days!
Thanks!  He does seem to understand what is being said to him (beyond the typical "selective hearing," of course.)  Following directions is something we are still working on, but I believe that part is more because he is stubborn than because of lack of understanding.  (Example: Sometimes I'll ask him to bring me something, and he'll do it.  Other times I ask and he just looks at me like I'm crazy and goes on about his business.)  His "Martian" does sound like a real...
Yeah, I meant his made up language.  I have had his hearing checked, and his hearing is fine.  He has met all developmental stages within normal ranges, sometimes early.  He just doesn't seem to want to speak English.  Again, he's started using more words, and he has pet phrases, I guess you could say.  "Come on!"  "Bye-Bye" (while waving)  "Let go."  "Hey!"  He says these constantly.   Part of the screening for the language delay also includes screening for other...
Okay, this month DS will be 31 months and he still doesn't talk very much.  We call what he does say "Martian" because he seems to have developed his own language.  To give a little background...   He said his first word "Mama" at 7 months old and, a few days later, made his first sentence when he said, "Mama, bye-bye," as I stepped out the door when leaving him with my mom for a couple of hours.  He has since said many, many words, but he doesn't use them regularly....
This is a bit late, I think, but I would suggest trying to get in to see Leigh Haden at the Children's Clinic over behind Hattiesburg Clinic/Women's Place if you haven't found a pediatrician already.  She is my son's doctor and will be my daughter's doctor when she arrives.  I don't know how she is with homebirths and such, but she is the only pediatrician I have found who not only understood my concerns regarding vaccines but didn't call me a liar when I said that I had...
So the baby has been getting more and more active (or at least I'm feeling it alot more) over the past couple of weeks.  Last night, I went to stand up, and I could have sworn she punched me right in the cervix!  This may be my second child, but it is still somehow the only time when I could pinpoint directly where my cervix is located.  There was a punch (though I don't know if it was her fist or some other part of her body) and then a sharp pain that went right through...
I also loved when, while pregnant with DS, I was walking through the hospital where I was WORKING and got stopped by some random lady to ask me how bit my litter was going to be?  How freakin rude!  (She also informed that she wasn't going to babysit, and I still didn't have any idea who she was until almost a week later when I found out she was my MIL's friend. Ugg.)   A good friend of mine had one of the more interesting stories, though.  To summarize, she was...
I've had a different experience with the due date since my first was a preemie.  It has been a count down for me and everyone I care about to see how close we can get to the due date with this one. Since I readily give out the date, though, I haven't had any of these issues.  I just say, "April 5, but we'll see what SHE decides."   It has the added bonus of keeping people from showing up at my house until the end of April, too, to give me time to have her and get...