or Connect

Posts by mommy2abigail

I found that until dd1 was taller, like at 3.5-4 years old, she was having a hard time painting on an easel anyway. SHe would lean into it to reach it since it's on an angle and knock into the paint tray in the front. Does that make sense? I think for a younger, smaller child, either painting on a flat horizontal surface or flat vertical surface is easier. I would get one of those over the door paper hanger thingy's for a young toddler. We have a wonderful all wood easel...
Another at the no park for a 17 month old comment...Also, playing with other people by falling and asking to be picked up or touching their leg is not what I consider 'intimate'! To each their own, but I brought dd1 to the park at just a few weeks old. The fresh air and the other kids to look at were wonderful for dd and talking with other moms was wonderful for me. DD2 went to the park at 4 DAYS old. DD1 was just shy of 3 and was itching to get out of the house, so we...
I wouldn't, but I would be trying to find a better situation for dh's job. Would he be able to work more where you mother lives?
We are not 100% tv free, but I have limited it to one movie a week, on Sunday. DD is fine with this, and we have all loved it...except dh. He turns it on in the morning to watch the news and drink coffee. And then again in the evening to eat dinner. Thing is, we don't usually get to sit and eat because in the morning, kids and I get up early and they are hungry so they eat before dh gets up. And he gets home too late in the evening for them to wait, so they eat first and...
DD1 could write her name by memory at 3. By her 4th b-day, she could write all the letters legibly. At 4.5, she is reading and writing cvc words and some sight (Dolch) words. She regularly writes our grocery list now.
I suspect (can't be sure 'cause we aren't into testing) both of my kids are gifted, and no, they don't play with toys. In fact, before I had them, I had a home daycare so I had a TON of toys, I recently went through all of them and got rid of *16* bags of toys. I only kept the kitchen set and different sets of blocks/legos, some dress up clothes and little animals to use with the blocks. They didn't even notice. The only thing they will do for any length of time is be read...
unless its a drop of situation, I would say invite everyone in the family. I know if only one of my kids was invited, we probably would not attend...we don't use sitters so leaving one child home is not an option.
Yup. And we do worksheets and even have (gasp!) 'school time'. At 3 she was asking to learn to read and to go to 'real school'. She did NOT want to homeschool. So we talked about what it was about real school she wanted and she wanted to play with friends (quickly dispelled that myth!) and 'do school'. Whatever that was. Someone gave her a little workbook/sticker book thing and she did it in just a few days. So we got some more of those and she does them whenever she...
Not important at all. That is the beauty of home schooling, you don't HAVE to learn/teach in the traditional way!
I used to have a home daycare. I had a TON of toys. About 6 months ago, I got rid of everything. Seriously. I only kept the baby doll stuff, dress up stuff, wooden kitchen set and play food and various sets of blocks. We have wooden, cardboard, and a few sizes of Lego/Duplo blocks. That is it. And a MILLION books and craft supplies. My kids are happier and so am I. It takes us less than 5 minutes to clean up. They are using the blocks creatively and they play with them...