or Connect

Posts by anthasam

Quote: Originally Posted by mightymoo Just a simple calculation, without amortization or compound interest, so its not completely accurate, but... 21,377 at 6.5% interest for the year is $1389.50 (21377*.065=1389.5). When you earn $1389.50, you pay 28% taxes on it (because deductions always come off the top, or highest tax bracket), so you are paying $389.06 in taxes on $1389.50 of earnings. Thus, because this loan is tax deductible, you are...
Artichokes!!! :
Quote: Originally Posted by rightkindofme I asked my husband because he's a numbers guy. He said that some of the benefit depends on your overall tax situation, but if you are well above the poverty line but not wealthy you are better off paying off loan #2. Due to being able to write off the interest on loan #1 your effective interest is probably closer to 4%. Interesting. I wonder how to go about figuring out the "effective interest". ...
Quote: Originally Posted by mightymoo I would pay the RV. It's higher interest, and even though you are asking close to the loan amount, if you don't get quite the amount you owe, if you sell for less, you'd have to come up with the difference at the sale to pay off the loan, I think it would be better to get the loan down well below what you'll sell it for. This was my line of thinking too. However, we do have some cash in savings to pay the...
OK, here is the situation: Loan #1 RV Simple Interest, 15 year loan 10 years left Interest rate: 6.5% Principal remaining: $21,377 **Loan interest is written of federal taxes No prepayment penalty RV is FOR SALE Loan #2 Used Auto Simple Interest, 5 year loan 3 years left Interest rate: 5.64% Principal remaining: $12,248 No prepayment penalty Vehicle will be kept for a LONG time! So, there it is. I know that we'll save more in interest if we...
This sounds like what I need to do, however, I'm not up for the challenge this month We're trying to get a better handle on cooking/eating out this month (from a finance perspective). Good luck -- I would certainly be happy to read about your progress, if you're willing to post about it
Somehow, I missed this thread for May! We've been focusing a lot outdoors (decluttering the yard ) but did manage to get a lot done inside as well: -- DD1 and I went through her toys and made three piles: keep, save for DD2, and donate. She was willing to donate a LOT This was the first time we did a big purge together (she was just three in March). -- working on culling my clothing...
Quote: Originally Posted by frostysarah ... We just started asking "Is anyone watching this? Do you mind if we turn it off?" And they say yes. I will admit I'm pretty much putting them on the spot (I mean, how are they going to say no to that?) but I do it. ... I do the same thing at MIL's house. DH just turns the TV off without asking, but it's his mom, not mine Plus, she has that thing so blooming loud, we can't hear ourselves think! ...
Quote: Originally Posted by karne Is there a difference between cork and cork laminate flooring? I had a sample of the cork laminate (lock together planks) that I loved. Anyone know about these? That's the kind I saw in person (the cork laminate) too. I'd be interested to know the brands/sources (if anyone has them) for the cork...
Quote: Originally Posted by adoremybabe We got one from our power company for free. They just have to call and ask us a few questions every once in a while. It is called Blueline Innovation. It's great to know how much power we are using. When certain appliances kick in. Do you find yourself changing your habits because of it? I'm curious to know where we use the most power, but on the other hand, I'm wondering if we'll actually change our...