or Connect

Posts by aprilushka

DD is in first grade. She is still undergoing the full body of tests they give at school for learning issues as well as ADHD, so we are not sure exactly what her diagnosis will be. English is her second language (at home we speak Russian although I am a native English speaker). We do read and do schoolwork at home in English though. DD has been reading phonetically for a couple of years. However, she has never spoken very well and therefore has a very hard time...
In our case, I think getting a diagnosis is a prerequisite to an IEP and anyway the diagnosis will hopefully take a shorter time -- apparently it takes months to get an IEP.  Fortunately her teacher is willing to try different things.  It could take months also for the diagnosis just because it takes weeks/months just to get an appointment.  It took an hour and half this morning just to find where in a two hour radius there was a developmental practice accepting new...
I'm in the same place.  My husband is also against meds and so am I generally except as a last resort, but after all the reading I've done these past couple of weeks and talking to my DD's teacher, if she needs meds to help her so that she doesn't end up hating school, then that is what we are going to do.  She just doesn't seem to be able to function at school -- in her case, no behavioral problems but she can't and get started on her work, follow directions, show the...
Other -- teach reading and writing in "home language" (Russian) which is not "my" language since I learned it as an adult but is DH's language -- before primary school teaching in English. DS learned to read in Russian early and then I didn't really have to teach him how to read English because the technique is essentially the same, just different letters.
My DD (second kid) was a late talker (2 1/2 for more than few words, 3 for two to three word sequences, 3 1/2 for consistent sentence use). I went to one early intervention test and they wanted follow up testing but I decided against it because she was making progress and they were rather anti-other language. We speak pretty much Russian all the time so I really don't think she's "bilingual" yet because other language exposure is minimal. I just started a few months...
Sorry about the novel, but it's difficult to explain without the entire context.
My DH is Russian and at home we speak all or nearly all in Russian (I speak Russian although am not a native speaker). DS is 7, DD is almost 4. DS went to American preschool two years before kindergarten and then during kindergarten one year of Russian Saturday school. This year he hasn't gone to Saturday school because DD is going full time to Russian preschool (9-3, 5 days a week) and it's expensive and relatively far (at the same place as the Saturday school --...
C/s -- 39 weeks and change (can't remember) after water break following membrane stripping VBAC -- 40 weeks + 3 days following spontaneous water break
Quote: Originally Posted by jjawm We had severe constipation with my dd. She'd hold it in for 5-7 days before going, and she'd get so upset she'd cry. Added fiber didn't work, and diet change didn't work. Our ped had us use Miralax for 6 months. Miralax isn't a 'true' laxative, so it doesn't irritate the digestive system. It worked super well, and my daughter learned that pooping doesn't have to hurt. She had been holding it in because it was...
Kirill is one of my favorites and doesn't have an "a" sound dimunitive (typically). There's also Nikolai ("Kolya") which hasn't been transformed into a girl's name here and can be Nick instead for short upon choice.