or Connect

Posts by aprilushka

I wouldn't say normal but not uncommon. People lose it once in a while. As long as it isn't constant and demeaning I tend to let it pass. Stapler throwing on the other hand, not cool.
I think native English speakers living in the US will end up speaking to their kids eventually some in English, to help with homework, etc even if we have another home language. Without any policy. Exactly what you do at home I think it's a question of situation. If there are plenty of other places to get practice in the other language, then maybe what you do at home is less important. If not, than it's very important because without a lot of practice at home, the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Beppie I am interested to hear of other families with roots in India... I am causasian-American, and DH is from southern India (Kerala). DH's entire family still lives in India, so that is hard on him. Dh will be applying for US citizenship this year. We have 2 little girls, who both have dark hair and dark eyes, but we've been surprised by how fair their skin color is, almost the same color as mine (German-Slovakian...
Well, my opinion is that if you want your kid to speak it passably living in the US, you'll have to spend a lot of time on it at home and sort of fence English time in instead of the other way around. I think it will start to feel natural once you do it a lot. I speak Russian to my kids even though it's not my native language and I still have to look up some things in the dictionary when they ask me-- and I figure all that does is make it more natural to them to use a...
Hi Joyster! A lot of people have been asking for this forum, so we're excited to see it. I'm a white American with no Europea ethnic identity married to a Russian. I speak Russian and Russian is the language of our home. I expect our kids will identify wholly American but I want them to know and appreciate their Russian roots as well as speak the language passably. We spend a fair amount of time with DH's relatives (considering that they live over there), so...
Leslie Steiner's blog is usually more about work life issues and the so called mommy wars, but today she talked about Ricki's film and homebirth -- anyone can add a comment if interested-- http://blog.washingtonpost.com/onbal...=news-col-blog
Which forum was that (PM if necessary). Just curious as I have also frequented Russian parenting forums.
I would also be disinclined to take it and say you appreciate the thought but that it's going to actually introduce stress and you'd rather not. If she can sell it for as much as she bought it for (or more), than I would think it's not too big a deal.
I'm a snob about using words according to their proper meaning and not making one up for yourself because you misremember it and then continuing to use it improperly even when you've been informed that's not the actual meaning. My mother does this all the time. Drives me crazy. Then she gets mad when I point out that she completely uses a word wrong and it creates a misunderstanding as a result. Pronunciation bothers me less. I also don't like it when people write...
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusMom It drives me crazy. I live in Holland and speak Dutch reasonably well -- enough to give presentations with a bit of practice, but I still make some mistakes and have a typical English-language accent. I've had so many ridiculous conversations in which I'm speaking Dutch to the Dutch-speaker and s/he is answering me in English. It's fine when you first move someplace and it's clear people are trying to help...