or Connect

Posts by aprilushka

I would be upset if they rode on a bike or went to a biker bar, but just looking at them -- no. I mean, they could have been in any town where bikes just happened to come in and they looked at them -- I also wouldn't want my kid going to Daytona during bike week, but that wasn't what was going on here. I actually was in Daytona during bike week at the age of 19 for about 6 hours and we just rolled our eyes at the idiots acting like animals on the corners. Of course, it...
Quote: Originally Posted by dmarie No bratz here. If they play with them at a friends I am not going to stress, but I don't think any child should aspire to be a brat any more than they should aspire to be an a$$hole. I mean at least Barbie was an astronaut and a veternarian and a teacher . . . ITA and with the next one also (although I do allow waterguns for outside play). I'm also not going to buy Barbies probably unless she really really...
Quote: Originally Posted by MeepyCat Actually, it was changed in the U.S. out of concerns that readers wouldn't buy it here if it had such a highfalutin' intellectual title. The book was also edited for British dialect and slang before being released in the U.S. Subsequent books got less and less of such editing, and I believe that the British and U.S. texts for HPatDH are identical. This is correct. It was changed due to the constant...
Quote: Originally Posted by Proverbs31 I just picked up a copy of the new book "Pushed" by Jennifer Block; its awesome! Anyway, I'm up to the section about VBACs and the more I understand about uterine rupture, the more puzzled I am: I simply cannot make sense of why the obstetrics community (and women in general) take a c-section (and all of its' potential risks) so lightly...but quiver in fear at the extremely rare chance of uterine rupture???? When you...
There's quite a few restrictions on what kind of homebirths NJ mws can attend. I think NY is better. Not sure about CT
Our elementary school is about a ten minute walk from our house. I'm quite sure that DS will be walking there himself from the age of 7 or so, there's no way DH will be driving him when he's 11. I remember riding my bike to school when I was 8, about a mile. I guess that would be considered neglect these days.: I do think kids need time on their own to cope and just interact with the environment --in fact, they are worried that kids will not appreciate nature much in...
I think horse. I've always had a soft spot for them although I've never owned one. Otherwise a bird of some kind.
Hero and the Crown + Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
My kids are 4 and 15 months, so going outside alone even for DS for more than a few minutes is not really practical. DS does play outside some though with us watching (we are on a cul de sac in a safe neighborhood) through windows. Mostly just going out a couple minutes before we come out or something like that. DH I think is more lax about this than I am since he grew up in the Soviet Union, where this wouldn't have been considered an issue at all. When DS is a little...
I thought she meant he went into the shop immediately and then later became an Auror. Oh well. She can figure it out when she does the encyclopedia.