or Connect

Posts by aprilushka

Quote: Originally Posted by kama'aina mama Well, now we are getting into "What is love?" and questions of selfish vs selfless love and the various levels of capacity in each of us to love and to be loved. Snape obviously grew up in very cold environment. I don't think it's astonishing that his capacity to love, that his understanding of love, is stunted. I think it can be safely said that anyone who was interested in the Deatheaters is pretty selfish,...
What Snape did is far more difficult than anything James or Sirius (who was able to get out of most of the bad effects of Azkaban by being a dog) had to do. It was just as hard as what Harry had to do, even harder in some respects. As for his sometimes being mean to Harry, he probably thought he was doing him a favor in some ways. Also, it was stated in HBP I think that Snape actually did not know that the prophecy referred to Harry before he told LV and after he told...
BTW, where's the theme park going to be? I have to admit, I'm loath to watch the movies (I haven't seen 5 yet) for some time. I wasn't all that thrilled with 4 and I think only 3 did the series justice (even though it changed some things). I hope the theme park isn't just movie based, although apparently Rowling has a hand in how it's going to be, or at least she implied as much on Blue Peter (so nicely YouTubed to mugglenet) I wish we had Blue Peter in America.:
Quote: Originally Posted by Sisyphus This idea is not solely christian. It is part of just about every religion in the world. Never thought that it was -- the original comment was about Christian reaction to Harry's coming back, so that was the context, and Rowling has said she is a Christian and part of the Church of Scotland, so in terms of grand themes she probably takes them more from that than from other religions, but obviously good vs...
Quote: Originally Posted by tboroson I thought of this poem, too, in the discussion of why Tonks came to fight. They'd already killed her father for being Muggle-born. Would they come for her next, for being half-Muggle? Then for Teddy for being quarter-Muggle? It wasn't a question of "being part of the action" vs. staying home with your baby. It was a question of protecting your child by fighting for him, vs. going into hiding with him and possibly...
The cheesy part I didn't like so much was the final duel -- I thought the dialogue there suffered a bit. The epilogue was cheesy but appropriately so. I really thought Hermione or Ron would die-- I was pleasantly surprised that they made it. I think the dragging on in the forest was appropriate also, to show just how hard everything was. I also liked the analogizing to fascism, etc., which is something I hope that will be pointed out to kids reading the book who might...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie I loved the death and resurrection imagery in this book. I almost wonder if one of the reasons she didn't have Harry completely die was so she wouldn't tick off Christians by making him too much of a Christ figure? Just a thought. Maybe -- I also think he didn't totally die, and she made that clear by what Dumbledore said about the blood mixing thing making it impossible to kill him (although I admit...
Spending way too much time on Mugglenet procrastinating--- I'm intrigued by the Harry as horcrux idea, but I think it's probably too grotesque, even for Rowling (who hasn't shied away from the grotesque obviously)
Quote: Originally Posted by Missy But those relationships lack depth. There's a level of intimacy that's going to be missing. When I keep myself from speaking freely, I'm not as comfortable or as open. I can't explain this very well. I don't know how else to express that it's not just about history or the state of racism now, etc...that's a narrow view of race. I'm really at a loss now about how to explain that being colorblind in personal...
Don't do it!!