or Connect

Posts by aprilushka

Quote: Originally Posted by Black Orchid Celeste- And our frig broke... and we lost all of our groceries... so much for saving some money for my maternity leave! So far all the repairmen we've called have been too busy to come right away. And its awful because I haven't been able to eat anyhting but cold stuff for most of the week- everything else is making me sick. So I had to go and re-buy everything and put it in a cooler with ice. I'm only...
Quote: Originally Posted by wawap Yeah - that was my point.... I had plans at 19. Shtuff happens. My life is a lot different than I planned. Not bad, just not what I planned. I am lucky to have a flexible work environment (for the most part). Unfortunately for me, those little tastes of flexibility leaving me craving more and more. Yeah, it's easier on me than it was before but I still work FT and only get weekends and evenings (and my...
LovinLiviLu That's what I'm saying-- we're all in this together, and we should all be making it easier on each other, because God only knows what will happen tomorrow.
Quote: Originally Posted by ebony I guess they have decided to print this trite article every single year now, merely changing the names. It makes me wonder what message the Bush media is really trying to send out (even though the NYT doesn't have that reputation). I, too, am an Ivy League grad. I'm so tired of this distinction, as I think some of the most interesting people I have ever met didn't attend one of the Ivies. I'd really be interested...
Quote: Originally Posted by lauren When you were talking about the part where you had the job and a good day care situation, you sounded so happy and relieved. It sounds like that is where your heart is. Finding a pt job should be the easier part than agonizing over this. I agree. Being at home full time or working full time isn't good if it affects your married life that negatively (that's much harder on the kids than any issues from day...
I should say, the flip side to this sort of article is the one always out there on how SAHDs are so miserable and no marriage where a woman makes more money than her husband can last. When of course the reality is that there are a lot of marriages like that that are somehow puttering along despite the fact that they "must" fail. Well, journalism isn't about subtlety I guess. That's why I decided after two years on the Yale Daily News not to become one-- I'm not...
Quote: Originally Posted by G&B'sMama I guess one of the things that bothers me most about this article is the narrow perception of feminism. It’s that old idea that feminists are driven career women who put everything secondary to a career and that those who happen to stay at home are anti-feminists, reinforcing traditional gender roles. This drives me up the wall! I know some great feminist mamas who are at home raising children. The article also...
Quote: Originally Posted by wawap Yeah - hope they have full-ride scholarships or marry someone with no student loan debt of their own and/or a fantastic, high paying job. Whatever - I went to public schools for my undergrad & graduate degrees, worked 80 hours a week during the summers and 20-55 hours a week while in school. I still have over $55,000 in student loan debt LEFT after 8 years out of school. Why bother? Why don't they just get a...
I'm so sorry.
Quote: Originally Posted by UrbanEarthMom : I read both the NYT and the Boston Globe (same owner) - I fit into the demographic - liberal and educated (and latte sipping ), however, I am frequently frustrated by the over-emphasis on the lifestyles of the rich and famous that are portrayed at times as being the norm. The group mentioned in this article are such a microscopic segment of the country's population. These women in the article are already...