or Connect

Posts by jillc512

I GUESS it can't hurt.  Off to finish some laundry and dust the piano!
It sounds like you're doing a great job for when baby won't latch: the two cardinal rules are 1. feed the baby and 2. establish/keep up milk supply.  It can just take some babies a little longer to get the hang of it.  (I'm especially encouraged when I hear 3rd-, 4th-, 5th-time moms have trouble with latch -- just because mom has done it before doesn't mean baby is on board right away!).  If you're using a bottle, you might want to switch to a finger feeder or syringe to...
40 weeks and 3 days here!  I've been thinking this weekend will be it for me since my other natural (not induced) births were 40w3d and 40w5d.  I'm definitely tired of being pregnant, so that's a good sign, right? I vacuumed this morning, but haven't gotten desperate enought to wash the floors.  Probably that's what baby is waiting for...
Here's another helpful article on VBAC and risk: http://midwifethinking.com/2011/02/23/vbac-making-a-mountain-out-of-a-molehill/.  If for whatever reason you do decide on a repeat c-section, there is actually a great thread (that I can't find!) on here that talks about some of the benefits of NOT scheduling a c-section and just waiting until you go into labor.  Maybe you or someone else can find that thread...
My midwife has started recommending it more to prevent hemorrhage -- she said a few midwives she knows really push the rrl and alfalfa and rarely have moms who bleed too much.  I didn't drink much last pregnancy, but I'm planning to drink more this time.  I guess we'll see if it shortens labor at all (shortest labor was 8 hours)!
I agree with wendelberry -- I let my HB midwife know when I THINK I'm in labor (and can always call her back if things slow down).  If you're having a hospital birth, you can call when you leave for the hospital, but around here anyway you just get the OB or midwife on call, so they don't really need to know until you're there.   The situation I hate to see as a doula is when a mom's water breaks before labor begins, and she calls the hospital and they tell her to...
With my DD (baby #2), I was side-lying, but she was pretty much crowning by the time I got in that position.  I wanted to be side-lying with baby #3, but when I tried to lie down it was so uncomfortable that I popped right back up again.  I ended up on hands and knees on the floor.  I think I would have liked to be more kneeling with my torso straighter as wendelberry described, but would need someone(s) to help hold me in that position.  That baby also had a nuchal...
As a matter of fact, I just read a study abstract on this! http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03154.x/abstract#.TskicfonjV0.twitter "A post-term mother (≥42 weeks) had a 49% increased risk of giving birth to a child at ≥42 weeks and a post-term father had a 23% increased risk of fathering a child at ≥42 weeks."  I thought it was particularly interesting that the chance of going past 42 weeks increased if the FATHER of the baby was born at 42 weeks...
I'll just add that some friends and I (who all have boys between 5 and 10 years old) have noticed that 6-7 years old was a time of increased emotions/drama for many of our boys.  It's possible that the change you're seeing is due to the new baby coming, but it also may be an age/stage thing, or a back-to-school adjustment period, or a bad day/week.  Obviously, you'll have a better sense of which of these is the most likely (or which combination is most likely) for your...
That sucks!  My midwife (CPM) is able to order blood tests at one of the hospitals here.  Are you close to another state with different laws/rules?  Perhaps there is a midwife across the state line who'd be able to order bloodwork for you?