or Connect

Posts by courtenay_e

Yes, there are women who ONLY assist.  And I'm fine with that.  Do I want that assistant to have NNR training and CPR training?  ABSOLUTELY.  If you plan to attend ANY birth, doula, friend, midwife, assistant, you should know how to assist in resuscitation.  That extra set of hands knowing what to do can be essential.  I strongly recommend traveling, if necessary, and attending the Karen Strange NRP workshop at the location nearest you.  She trains specifically for an out...
You could actually work as a homebirth midwife after getting a CNM...and at that point, if you ever HAD to work within the hospital setting (a midwife in our area was a homebirth midwife for years and then her husband lost her job, they needed insurance, and she moved her practice to a very crunchy hospital setting), you could. You could very easily, especially in a state where there is a large population of midwives, get a great education with the PEP process. I...
Bumping again for a friend. :)
Wonderful, Rosie!  So glad to hear that it was helpful.  I hope it's still keeping things easier for you!
When I planned at the end of last month, I did the most weeks ever -- five months worth. :)  It's like heaven knowing that for the entire time I am on call, nobody has to think about what's for dinner. It's on the wall, and can be checked the night before to make sure meat doesn't have to come out, etc.  We used a ton of "skillet" recipes, "easy" recipes, and "quick" recipes, from Cook's Illustrated's Best Skillet, and best Quick Recipes, as well as from the Cook's...
Well, honestly, I know of a VBAC in the last week where UofM put pit on a uterus with two cesarean scars on it and caused a complete rupture, and the baby's brain function is in question.  So, I'm not thrilled with their VBAC policy at the moment.  and I have a client who had a three week long nightmare at HFWB in the last month, not holding her newborn twins for 11 days, because of a complete lack of urgency on the part of the providers at the hospital.  Sooo......
It's several years later and I just now saw the question "do I still plan the same way a few years later".  YES, I DO still plan this way.  The themes on the days move around as the kids' activities and my prenatal days (I'm a midwife) move around, but otherwise, we do it exactly the same.  And when we do it, it saves us a TON of money and time. :)  So we do it as much as possible!
Bumping for a friend... I don't want to type my response again!
Both Henry Ford West Bloomfield and UofM tend to be VBAC friendly, though I have to say that lately I prefer the midwives at UofM for VBAC over the midwives at HFWB... just from experiences with clients in the last few months.
Henry Ford Health System does really great cesareans, puts baby on chest immediately and leaves them there through recovery till you're ready to have them weighed and measured.  The University of Michigan does that as well (they actually started it in MI).  I'm disappointed that your HB midwife didn't recommend one of those two health systems to transfer care to, it's pretty well known in our community (midwives).  Dr. Eisenstein is actually seeing one of my clients for...