or Connect

Posts by completebeginnings

I worked as a doula and cbe while my dh was in law school and we had 2 children. I attended 2-4 births a months and taught 2 nights a week. It can be done you just have to find a good support system. Most people start with a doula and cbe training and it is something valuable that midwives look for. Midwife to Be is a very cheap online program, plus there is Institute of Holistic Midwifery, Midwifery College of Utah, National College of Midwifery, AAMI among many others....
I don't believe in it prior to labor unless as Erika posted a woman has some real concerns that can easily be explained and reassured but I do use it occasionally during labor when there is a stall of some sort. Most recently a primip had such a narrow pubic arch I never thought that baby would come through. She would have been sectioned for sure in the hospital. But due to careful examination we were able to help her open by pushing open on her ischial spines (I know...
There is thread after thread about AAMI and all of the pros and cons in the archives. Tons!!! I would suggest you check those out I don't think we need to rehash it. I think the main criticisms of AAMI is all of the cost up front, midwifery beliefs of Carla Hartley aka Trust Birth Movement, and claims that other programs were stolen or copied from AAMI. Also the fact that anyone who ever criticized AAMI gets attacked by people on this list. Happens all the time, happened...
I had a baby smack in the middle of my busy apprenticeship. The pregnancy was awful but the birth was heavenly (and he was even posterior with a nuchal hand). You will be fine just make sure you talk to your midwife and remember that you may know a lot but you are still a client and need support as such.
I enjoy having multiple books open to compare the same subject by different authors. It would be nice to have it on my phone so that I could have the info readily available while doing in home prenatals and so I could study when ever. I would go hard copy then go digital once you have more money IMO.
No neither midwife have any issues with a post dates mom that is what I find so interesting. It really seems to be a local thing but the midwife that uses the 5 week formula is quick to blame any problems (PPH, pretem labor, over due etc.) on the fact that my other preceptor doesn't use it. Any one else have experience?
Besides my own practice I still work with two of my preceptors. One of them is a master herbalist and has all of her clients take a labor prep herb starting at 35 weeks. It contains red raspberry, black or blue cohosh, blessed thistle etc. Here are two examples: http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/dr-christopher-pre-natal-formula-100-caps.html and this http://www.vsnatureworks.com/product_details.asp?id=26&nick=ge&cat=40   She (and many other local midwives) claim...
Yes there are a few areas that I am aware of and there may be more. Those areas are Kanab, Moab, Monticello and farming areas around Park City. Also Mesquite Nevada and Page Arizona.
Utah has a high homebirth rate. In some areas as high at 10%. That said many people who choose to birth at home here choose it for money reasons. So different from where I worked before in Colorado. Good Luck!
I live in Utah. It is a good state for midwifery. The laws are great and lots of babies being born. That said there are a lot of hb midwives in Utah and Midwifery College of Utah brings in many more. I would say only about 30% choose to license. Licensing really cuts into taking certain clients. Such as no twins, breech, VBAC2, moms over 42 weeks, previous still born etc. The perk of licensing is you can carry pit. There are no restrictions on unlicensed midwives except...