or Connect

Posts by completebeginnings

This is cross posted in birth trauma but moderators please don't remove because as a birth professional I want feedback by other professionals on how to make this work. I had a very traumatic birth with my 3rd child and underwent extensive therapy during my 4th pregnancy to get to a healthy point again. There are no support groups for birth trauma in the area. Not even an ICAN. I would like to start one (hospital, homebirth, cesarean) but it will be tricky for me since...
My homeschooled teens come to me and parents drive unless it is convenient for me to pick up or take home. I live in a small town and homeschool myself. I would maybe check for a local yahoo homeschool group or just ask around. My girl is amazing. 13, perfect age because she isn't really interested in boys yet. She is a dance and piano prodigy so helps my dd with those things. She is great at cleaning up and following directions. I adore her and she has an 11 year old...
In Utah you can license if you want. If licensed you can carry pit, methergine, IV antibiotics, lydocaine,oxygen you can not attend VBAC2, twins, breech, must have consult for 42 weeks etc. If not licensed you can carry oxygen and attend anyone you want to including twins, breech and VBAC's. I will sit for the NARM for my CPm but am still unsure if I will personally license. Out of my local area of about 140,000 people over 60 miles and 9 midwives only two are licensed.
I do a combination of things. For study days and any calls from 6 am to 3 pm I have a homeschooled teen who comes for $5 an hour. I use her frequently so she actually makes a decent amount thus the reduced fee. On Thursdays there is an older neighbor who comes while I do prenatals and postpartums we pay her $7 an hour. Other times DH takes time off work or I have a long list of sitters that we call from. I end up spending about $300 a month on childcare.
That may have been me . And I may have misspoken a bit. I looked back over our numbers and we do have a very low rate. Out of the last 35 births 10 have torn and two of those were the same woman. Three were first time moms(nothing more than 1st degree). One was a mom who had twins each over 9 lbs. Two were nuchal hands. One was a very aggressive pushing stage with non reassuring fetal heart tones. Another few were women with repeat epesiotomies with a lot of scar tissue....
I think I know what you are asking MsBlack. Even if I pass the NARM next year I will not be on my own. I plan to continue to work with my preceptor for a while after that. There is still a lot to learn. I have never sutured (99% of moms don't tear at all and the ones that do are usually minor enough to heal on their own) or seen a shoulder dystocia handled at home. I have seen lots of other random things that are supposed to be rarer birth defects etc. It is hard to find...
I had seen 50+ births as a doula. I had worked in nursing(so I knew how to work with people and navigate the hospital in case of a transport) and was a CNA( knew how to do pulse, BP, temp., change out a dirty chux, assist a physically compromised individual etc.) and my dad was a veterinarian so I worked in his practice helping with surgeries (understood sterile field, names and uses of instruments, basic suturing etc.) done first aid and resuscitation. I was well read...
I don't think specific numbers matter that much. What they knew coming into it, their dedication in learning and being responsible, their relationship to the client are more important. I am not sure if my preceptor and I "do it right" but to us catching isn't that important in counting a birth as a primary for me. Heck half the time the mom or dad catches the baby anyways. We have a very fluid relationship that means either one of us is equally going to catch it depends on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sijae I just think you need to take a step back and look at it objectively. It's unreasonable to ask for a refund or to be let out of your commitment. Nobody else does it, why should she? I have exactly 1 week to drop my college classes before I get zero refund. You've been enrolled for a year and want out? It is true that you can do the same thing with self study, but it sure is nice to have a road map already laid out...
Quote: Originally Posted by hram Can I ask you ladies a question? Has anyone started a program and completely hated it? The honest truth is I havent learned one thing or even gotten the chance to study on my own becuse there is so much busy work and stuid instructions that Im so confused by it. The only reason Im still doing it at all is because I paid in full and I would be upset if I were out all that money for nothing. This is how I felt...