or Connect

Posts by bass chick

After examining myself, I realize my concerns have more to do with me than with my son. I don't have many interests. I don't get excited about anything, except for maybe going for a long walk with someone. So after thinking about it for a long time, I see that I'm really worried he is going to struggle with depression, self-harm, and insecurities. It's not really that I think he should have a great passion, but I do wish that he would be enthusiastic about trying something...
Thank you all so much for the encouragement. There are so many times that I am glad that he can just be a kid and play, but he seems to be in between younger kids that will role play with home and kids his age who only want to watch a movie, talk about a movie, play video games, or do sports. So he feels bad because the kids who WILL role play with him do so with less maturity and it frustrates him. It frustrates me as well that every.single.thing that we try to do out...
I have the opposite problem. I am 5'5" and weigh 110 lbs and look fat. I started working out this year and am not so jiggly and am more fit, but I still look chubby!
Okay, so he doesn't have no interests, he just doesn't have interests that *I* would deem beneficial. He does not want to read on his own. He does not want to learn to swim. He does not want to play any sport. He does not want to ride his bike. He does not want to go for walks or explore nature or geocache with us. He does not want to go to an art class or do any creating or art work at home. He does not want to ice skate or ski. He does not like any of his school work -...
I'm not an unschooler, but I lean towards it. First of all, take a deep breath. It sounds like you are very stressed. If he is dealing with chemical imbalances, bi-polar, or whatever, he needs help. Have you ever read "Hold On To Your Kids"? It is an eye-opening book that explains why some kids "rebel" and seemingly turn their backs on their upbringing. I would say not to give up on him. I was that kid who almost ripped my family apart...not on purpose...but I was...
Thanks for the link! I enjoyed it!
Have you looked into English From the Roots Up? We like it.
Well, I have 2 boys (6 & 8) and they have a hard time playing with kids they don't know REALLY well. When we go to open gym at gymnastics, they ignore all the other kids and just play together or chat with other adults. I'm trying to help them build friendships with other homeschooled children close to their ages, but it isn't working. They have no friends their own ages, but they have a few friends who are 4 - I used to run a dayhome, so they were "forced" to play...
Thank you all for your input, suggestions and thoughts!! I guess I didn't ever consider DS anxious, but now that it is mentioned, he is very rigid with his expectations and easily disappointed and refuses to go anywhere in the house alone. If I ask him to do something for me, he tries to coax his younger brother to accompany him because he does not want to be alone. He does have a very over-the-top vivid imagination. We have done several things, which haven't really...
My son is 8. He doesn't like to sleep. He falls asleep a million times faster if I snuggle him until he drifts off. I have left him several times to fall asleep on his own and he was still awake at 2am (I was on the computer doing my taxes and I could hear him and knew he hadn't fallen asleep yet). If he wakes up early (7am) and has an action packed day, he will fall asleep alone occassionally before midnight. But this is rare and has only happened 4 times.   After I...