or Connect

Posts by MamaDimstam

My daughter received some in-school OT last year (in grade 1), which helped her immensely. Some things the OT did with her: *practice cutting out shapes/drawings with special scissors that do not close all the way- this encourages more detail in cutting because the child cannot chomp all the way down *draw on vertical surfaces- stick some paper on a wall and encourage him to draw *if your child bears down too hard on the pencil, get them a "special" mechanical...
YES PLEASE. My husband has lived with depression for more of his life than not. It's hard. I'm an optimist by nature, and when I occasionally get down I feel like I don't have the luxury, no one to pick *me* up.
I truly understand misplaced anger. I have been angry at dh a lot in the past (occasionally in the present, but it's better now) but had it come out at my kids. This sounds crazy, but somehow it felt safer for me to get mad at them than HIM. Part of me was scared of him (not in a violent sense, he's never been violent in any way), how he'd react to whatever I was angry about. I doubted my right to feel angry, to feel exhausted, like I was carrying far more than my...
This is obviously for slightly older readers, but I cannot stand the Junie B. Jones books for all the deliberate misspellings. Dd saw one and asked why the writer made Junie so "not smart." Awful.
Dunno. I'm moderately far along the crunchy spectrum, and I think this theory is a bit simplistic. My house is N E A T. But it's not spotlessly clean. We simply don't have a lot of stuff, and that includes toys. We're not luddites or anything, it's just that you don't see a lot of plastic in my house, and we have some awesome storage, so everything has a home. Add to that that my kids are mostly in school these days, we're outdoors a LOT, so it's easy to keep it tidy...
Along with all the other good reasons everyone else has piped with, my biggest beef is that most of the character stuff is pure CRAP. Meaning, it's cheap quality, fragile and very breakable. It's an environmental thing as much as anything else- if it breaks after only a few plays, it's likely to end up in a landfill. There's enough junky disposable stuff in the world, we don't need more.
I identify with a lot of this. My take is that it boils down to a tendency to think in absolutes, as a way of expressing a form of perfectionism. I can very much be a control freak. All or nothing thinking. I want to lose that baby weight once and for all (now that my baby is FIVE), have my house in order, make healthful food, move my body, feel sexy, all that good stuff. When I'm in a good head space, all that comes pretty easily. Then, something will throw me off,...
This is an issue for me too. For me it's about feeling appreciated- I need to be recognized for all I do, which is a lot. I think in my case my dh does appreciate me, he just doesn't often show it in the ways I want. When he notices that the laundry basket is full and needs to be taken to the laundry room and ACTUALLY DOES IT WITHOUT ME ASKING, my heart sings. It's an acknowledgement of joint responsibility and showing that he respects me as SAHM. Lately i've been...
Quote: Originally Posted by True Blue IS there a reason you are going to discontinue your current detergent? The manufacturer and the salespeople both say that if you don't use HE detergents, you mess up the sensors or something. I'm skeptical. A friend of mine has a Miele and has used Nature Clean for years, and has never had a problem with her washer, now 8 years old. Nature clean mind you is low on sudsing agents and other junk, and she...
Hi all, We just got a brand, spankin' new Whirlpool front loader. So far, I love it- but I'm paranoid about the whole HE detergent thing. The only one that's easy to get around here is the Tide HE one, but I *LOATHE* the smell of it. Up until now we used Nature Clean, a Canadian product that is totally scent-free and free of junk. My son, who had wicked eczema, did really well with this when everything else made him react. My relatives out of town can get Persil,...