or Connect

Posts by Ironica

I adore my Zojirushi. I've only ever made GF breads in it, but I've also used it for meatloaf (comes with a recipe ;-) and nearly everything I've ever made in it came out great. When it didn't, I lay the blame squarely on the recipe! It's got some great presets, plus three custom cycles you can set up and reuse as you like. It also keeps the bread warm after it's done for up to I think 2 hours? Not sure. They're pricey, but they're adored by their owners! I...
I'm a fishoholic, and love salmon... but I've never stressed over introducing my kids to foods I don't like. I've always guessed that there's a reason I don't like them, and that may be a reason they've inherited (allergy, for example). So... I guess I'm confused why your dislike makes you want to introduce it sooner? Canned is definitely one way to go; smoked salmon (aka lox) may be another way, but it's REALLY salty and some babes don't like that (others love it)....
Love the bottom freezer. Also, we have a french-door fridge, which is great for narrower aisles. Our shelves are glass, pull out, and can be adjusted separately on each side. We have ice maker and water filter/chiller, but NOT through the door... which I LOVE! The ice just magically appears in a box in the freezer, while the water comes from a spigot inside the fridge. Much less fragile, and you're less likely to spill ice all over the place. Our freezer is a...
The title does not say whethe you want to make it or buy it ;-) To make: Pamela's Amazing Wheat-Free Bread Mix (yes, it's actually gluten free too ;-) with egg-free directions. I've done it in a breadmaker just fine, even though the instrux say to hand-mix and oven bake for egg-free. (I have a Zojirushi breadmaker.) To buy: Food For Life Yeast-free Brown Rice Bread. It's pretty bleh out of the package, but AMAZING as toast. Especially if you fry it in chicken fat...
Kids need milk or a nutritional substitute through the second year of life. But "milk" means mommy milk, and "substitute" would include cow's milk. There's *tons* of evidence that humans don't need animal dairy. The primary evidence is the 70% of the global population that never eats the stuff, and the millions more that *only* eat it cultured and/or occasionally. I'm glad your DD is nursing more! Nursing strikes do happen, and just powering through by offering as...
For future reference, fish sauce has about 3x the sodium of regular soy sauce per unit of volume... so use about 1/3 as much as you would soy if subbing it in a recipe.
We just finished a deck out back, with a trellis over it to shade our rear window and back door from the sun. I want to plant something to climb the trellis and fill it in. Grapes seem to make sense for several reasons: we'll eat them ;-), they climb, they have big broad leaves that will provide lots of shade, they don't have thorns. This isn't a great area for them (I think I'm in Zone 9? Los Angeles) but we do have neighbors that grow them. Only hitch: because...
I want to rig me up some of these Earthtainers: http://www.earthtainer.org/ Might be a great solution for you, too!
I'm not ready to let DS1 (will be six in July) play out front without an adult present. We live in a very different area in some ways, but not-so-different in others; it's a friendly street, everyone knows each other at least to nod to. But we're right next to a "collector" type street, so there's some traffic. Mostly, my concern is, he has *so* little context for various situations, so he while he might know someone didn't seem "right," he wouldn't necessarily know how...
I agree with what everyone else has said so far about how to handle the situation. As for the cabinet door... You can have a single door custom-made to match. What *won't* match is the finish; you can use the same wood, but the age will mean it's a different color... so ALL the doors will have to be sanded and re-finished. It'll cost. Charge the hell out of them for it. (With receipts/written estimates to back up, of course.) Do *not* do these people the favor...