or Connect

Posts by Hazelnut

I like the flexibility, and I like being home, literally. Of course we leave quite a bit, but are usually home for some part of the day. I also like knowing just what my kids are eating, doing, etc. If I were working I'd make whoever write it all down, and likely drive them nuts. And I love knowing all the ins and outs- if he holds up a dandelion for instance and says "woo woo" I know he's referring to the goat (that he thought was a dog, they say woof/woo) that ate the...
hhhmm so I found out that this particular company has a cap for "homemakers" that is either 300K (!) or half of what they're husband is eligible for, which is 18x their salary. So basically dh would be just fine with that much, but not me. I find it completely sexist and unjustifiable and am livid they didn't share that info with me from the get go after wasting all my time, but anyway. Our current policy is with a company that indicated there was no such limit, so I may...
I'm in my 30s and I like the fashion now a lot. Yeah some of it is boring, but I love, love all the great boots out there, both ankle boots and tall boots, and I think skinny jeans look great with them and with the long tunics and sweaters. Fashion is always revolving and revisiting old trends, but I feel like anything goes right now- straight leg, skinny jeans, boot cut, and I really like that.
yeah the car thing is probably big, but I don't know what you're driving or if you are going to make changes there or need to. We have a tiny nissan that dh hates and I happily drive a subaru forester that is hard to fit 3 carseats in. If we had tons of money we'd probably get a bigger sedan for dh and just suck it up and get a minivan for carseat purposes, but we don't. And we have no car payments.
No fiscally prudent mamas have any clue about any caps they might put on this, or input on the topic1?
Ironically ( or not, I guess) the more expensive neighborhoods often have more free things for kids to do as well. I don't spend any money on expensive activities, but the library is great, there are a multitude of nice parks around, and plenty of other moms looking for playdates. I don't eat out or go hang out at the mall. I avoid gymboree and expensive activities. We have four free Halloween parties on our schedule over the next week, as an example. I didn't have huge...
[I] The second factor that never gets mentioned is what being a SAHM can do to your future earning potential and to your retirement and other savings.[/I ] Yep, and some careers would be seriously sidetracked by stepping off too long. Anyway, I don't have great answers. Writing everything down that I spend helps me see how often I spend on things that could have been put off, or were not needed. I adore clothes, and I get them new sometimes, but I get A LOT of...
One million is a boatload of money I will likely never see, but I do not think it is a lot at all for insurance. Term insurance is generally not that expensive if you are lucky enough to be healthy. Our 250K policy was dirt cheap. The general quote I got on this (the cheapest, we are considered good health) was quoted at around $45 per month, a person. I have three kids, or I wouldn't consider more. I consider this a worthwhile expense though, if I can manage it.
Yeah I was thinking 1 million. Initially I thought I could have 750k and he 1 million, but it seemed silly to have two different amounts. The difference in premiums was not that high.
Okay, I have some general questions I'm going to throw out here, hoping to get some feedback from people who know what they're doing I don't feel like getting into our income and details. But let's see- I'm a sahm with three young kids. I have two degrees (in not-very-lucrative areas though ) and have done some freelance work part-time for a large chunk of my 6 years at home, but it is very part-time and so not a lot of income. I do plan to go back to work though. DH is...