or Connect

Posts by Caryliz

Wow - I cannot imagine going back after just a few weeks! I was self-employed when I had DS1, and I took 6 months off. Both DH and I were self-employed and had irregular income (he as a freelance photographer/graphic designer and me as a consultant), so we were a) used to living well below our means, since our cash flow was sort of all-or-nothing, and b) had a years' worth of living expenses sitting in the bank, where we could get at it. (This at the advice of our...
Yes! The second one can be wonderfully different! It's true!   DS1 was also a terrible sleeper - a great napper, but a terrible sleeper at night. He is now in first grade, and had to write a paragraph at school recently about something he was afraid of. He wrote about being afraid to sleep alone (!). I don't know where this came from, but I swear he was born with it - the night we brought him home from the hospital, he woke up screaming every time I laid him down...
ITA with the PP who characterized this as a MAJOR quality of life issue - I work 50 - 60 hours/week at a corporate job, travel for work, and have 3 kids under the age of 7, including a 13 -month-old. Frankly, I'm not remotely interested in spending my weekend downtime scrubbing the bathrooms. Or, as I put it to my mother (who thought it was such an extravagance), it came down to my having to hire weekend child care so I could clean, or a cleaner so I could spend time...
Hi Mama!   Our DS2 arrived in the middle of the night in our drafty old house in the dead of winter in upstate NY, so I actually spent a fair amount of time thinking about this . We do have heat, but in the depths of winter our house averages something around 55 degrees at night and 62 during the day, more or less, depending on which room you are in. (The north side of the house is colder.) I would dress DS2 in a t-shirt, fleece footie sleepers with sleeves you...
I don't think there's a clear answer here - which is probably not at all what you wanted to hear! I only have two kids, but can tell you that they are like chalk and cheese when it comes to bedtime and sleep routines. I'm convinced you can shape a good part of this experience with your children, but also that they come with their own personalities and proclivities already hard-wired.   DS1 would ONLY nurse to sleep...until he was 4. (Yeah, you read that right.)  We...
I've talked with DS about it and he says there's no pain or discomfort at all, and his urine is not cloudy, so I'm not inclined to *think* there's an infection - all the same, I'm watching the sugar/juice intake. A friend's DD was just diagnosed with diabetes, and for them the trigger was that she was thirsty *all the time* and just peeing like crazy - but our problem is rather the opposite - DS is peeing probably less than he should, and for sure he's not drinking more...
I am completely at a loss here. Our DS1, who potty-trained in a matter of days just before the age of 3 and has never had an accident since, has had a series of accidents over the past few weeks - all, as far as I can tell, related to his realizing he has to pee, but not getting to the bathroom in time. I'll hear the thundering little-boy feet, the crash of the bathroom door, and then a wail: "Moooooooommmmmmm!! I need heeeeeelp!" - meaning, he didn't get his pants down...
Although I don't wish this level of sleep-deprivation on anyone - it is nice to know I'm not the only one in this boat!   Luckily I've had a breather on big deadlines the past few weeks and have been able to enjoy longer stretches of sleep myself, which in turn means I have more patience with my youngest and his sleep issues. ITA that the nightwaking must have something to do with mental processing and DS2 going through more developmental stuff. Just in the last...
What a great idea! I fed him sweet potato pancakes the other day and they were a huge hit. I'm learning he doesn't like finger foods to be cold (thus cooked carrots straight from the fridge are a non-starter), and he loves things he can hold onto while he snacks - so these look perfect. thanks!
Thanks for all the good ideas, mamas!   In answer to various questions - yes, he has been drinking water for some time and manages quite well with the sippy cup on his own. And he loves to *hold* a spoon, so I guess I need to just let him practice with it!   He has real issues with dairy - I can't even put milk in my coffee or he gets screaming cramps and then a tell-tale raised red ring around his anus - but as the older kids had (and thankfully outgrew!) the...