or Connect

Posts by Caryliz

ITA! I gained 27 pounds with DS1, and it took almost a year to the day for all of that to come off. That said, my only "trick" was breastfeeding, which we did exclusively for the first 6 months and then on demand while slowly introducing solids thereafter. I ate whatever I wanted during that whole time, and did not engage in any exercise regimen at all (except that we were living in NYC in a 4th-floor walkup with no car and I walked and wore DS wherever I went, which I...
We are preparing for DS2 and even though we took birthing classes with our first, it's been awhile (almost 6 years), and also, those classes were geared for someone going to a hospital, while we are planning a HB. With this in mind, I've been re-reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and marking sections for DH to read as well. He's not as much of a reader as I am, and would never tackle the whole book, but handing it off with some post-its inserted and then asking him to...
My DS doesn't like eggs and would live on toast if I let him, but his new favorite breakfast is Greek yogurt (vanilla flavored, not plain) with toasted walnuts or pecan pieces scattered on top. He *won't* eat fruit with yogurt, and isn't fond of nut butters, but he does like the super-thick yogurt with the nuts scattered on top. If you are ok with nuts, might be worth a shot!
I can't speak to the reflux issue as I have no experience there. But the arching of the back, the kicking, the 2-hour screaming fits and the mucus-y stools were exactly what we went through with our DS when he was a newborn. Our pediatrician suggested I cut *all* (and I mean ALL) dairy out of my diet (DS being exclusively breastfed), give it 24 hours, and call her back. And that was it! Instantly happy baby. Turns out he was not milk-allergic or lactose-intolerant; he...
We love them as topping on baked potatoes. I prefer them on regular potatoes, but DS (age 5) thinks they are heaven on sweet potatoes! Just bake the potatoes of your choice, split them open when done, fluff the insides a bit, add butter or marg if you like (I do, DH doesn't) and pour the warmed beans over and in the potato. YUM!   I also like them in franks and beans - chop tofu or veggie dogs into the beans, warm them up, add a squirt of mustard, serve with bread...
We looooove lentils in our house, too! I realize that most of our favorite recipes feature lentils as themselves (e.g. not as filler in something else).   Agree with PP that lentil soup is the easiest in the world. My basic recipe is 6 cups of water to 1 pound of lentils. Add a couple of chopped carrots, a stalk of celery, one small onion, (both chopped) and a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes in juice (or equivalent fresh tomatoes if you have them) and cook until lentils...
I use them to make mushroom gravy - usually I use potato water to thicken and add sauteed fresh mushrooms in with the dried, plus a splash of soy sauce or red wine - the dried give it a deeper, earthier flavor. I've found if you have extra gravy it keeps a long time in fridge and also freezes well. We LOVE love love it with shepherd's pie, and even my non-veg DH prefers my veg mushroom gravy to meat gravy on his potatoes.    Another fabulous use is in mushroom...
We also have a new freezer, and a babe due end of January - so I am way happy to see this thread!   Here's a question for those of you more experienced with this than I: how does the defrosting part work? I've frozen quick breads (leave out on counter overnight to thaw) and muffins (thaw in toaster oven), and soups (thaw in fridge, or, in a pinch, right in the pot), but never a lasagna or burrito filling. Do I let them come to room temp before baking? Do you freeze...
Yessss!!!! I rearranged our freezer last night to fit a few more things in and found to my surprise that we have like 16 frozen bananas in there waiting to be transformed into something yummy - and I love the idea of coffee and choc chips in the loaf. How very grown-up sounding   This DOES Look fabulous!  We have 14 people (yes, I'm crazy) staying with us over the holiday long weekend and I'm already thinking I'll have to get some of these into the freezer in...
LOL! It's funny, I've only gotten flak from two places:   1. Medical professionals (NOT the MW, but the people doing sonograms and such at the hospital) - and really, it's kind of fun to let them have it.   The doc who did my amnio kept referring to this as a "geriatric pregnancy" and finally I told him that, unless he was planning to arrange a senior citizen discount for all the stuff my insurance wasn't going to cover, he was going to have to find a different way to...