or Connect

Posts by Caryliz

Quote: Originally Posted by pixiepunk in a large bowl combine flour sugar and salt. cut butter in until it resembles coarse crumbs. press half of the crumb mixture into a greased baking pan. . What size baking pan? Thanks
I have the same problem! In fact, we sent out a recent (joke) electronic birth announcement to family and friends, announcing the arrival of Baby Zuke, who weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces, and was 18.5 inches long...! Of course, if Baby Zuke was the ONLY squash in our fridge it would be no big deal, but since I already had 4, it was time to get cracking on the zucchini recipes. Here's one from Gourmet magazine we tried and liked: Lemon Zucchini Vichyssoise 1 large...
Wow! Sounds amazing! We have a ripe avocado in the fridge and some leftover black beans from when I made a big batch for black bean salad, so I may have to make Salmon Black Bean tostadas this week! Thanks for the great suggestion - I think my family will love it
Yes! Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, and also a low-mercury fish (much lower than tuna). Whole foods has an FDA chart on their website listing mg of mercury per kilo for the most commonly eaten fish, which I found very informative: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...eorge&dbid=103 Also, with salmon, the big question is not canned vs fresh but wild vs farmed. Wild salmon is generally considered better for you (and for the environment), for a host...
P.S. AFWife - we have the exact same due date!!!
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Philomom - have you ever made the creamy pasta recipe with regular salmon (e.g. not smoked)? I love smoked salmon but it's a little expensive just now...and I seem to have a trove of the canned stuff in the pantry!
I use canned salmon to make salmon salad (same as tuna salad, but with salmon), which we eat on toast, and also fishcakes, which we eat over mixed greens with aioli - but I'm looking to branch out from the standards. Anyone have ideas to share? Thanks mamas!
I love Nava Atlas' "Vegetarian Express", which focuses on quick meals for busy parents. It was given to me years ago as a gift when I was just starting my career in NYC and lamented that I was too broke for take-out, but got home so late from the office that all the hours I spent on gourmet cooking when I was in school felt like an unspeakable luxury! 15 years later I'm still using the book regularly. What I really like about the recipes is that they are simple and fast...
I've been having terrible cramps in my lower back - just like menstrual cramps, and just as agonizing. For awhile I was terrified this meant menses was coming on (signalling a miscarriage) but have since learned it's totally normal, just all the progesterone kicking in. The problem is, i've not found a great way to combat the pain! I've taken Tylenol, of course (totally ineffective) and have been doing stretches, and sleeping with a pillow between my knees, but many nights...
I love the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special. It's all soups and salads - so, really, only 50% of the book is vegetarian salads - but lots of inspiration and recipes I never would have come up with on my own! One thing I love about it is that they list recipe variations and menu suggestions to help you mix things up a bit. Came out years ago but according to Amazon it's still in print!