or Connect

Posts by hannahi

Yes, I'm planning on doing this to jump-start my writing. I want to have at least a rough outline of the plot before I start and that's what's the hardest for me at this point!
For me it's not so much the ending but the whole arc of the plot. For instance there's the "black moment" in romance novels, typically at the end of the book right before the happy ending, where you think all is lost. It's the contrast between this and the resolution that would be a good example of what affects me the most. Come to think of it, I don't remember that a book moved me to tears--certainly some movies have, though even that is a rare occurence. I was a Russian...
I'm interested to hear from those who write for clients (ghostwriting, copywriting, writing web articles, for instance) and have other works in progress such as a novel. I'm asking because I've started writing a novel. I'm employed almost full-time and have no idea if and when the novel writing will work out into a good paying career. I've done some copywriting and editing work and thought about doing that full-time instead of my regular job. But my fear is that I...
There are lots of well-written biographies for early elementary. For instance the Pull-Ahead Books--Biographies. These happen to be published by the company where I work but I'm just showing you as an example--many other children's book publishers will have an analogous series.
Hello! I'll join in the discussion after I've finished the book. I got the DVD from the library and watched it last week. I had checked the book out from the library a few months ago but found it a little hard to get into. Now I think it will be easier having watched the DVD of Lillard's lecture. My son is not yet in Montessori--he's in a daycare/preschool where they have a Montessori classroom for ages 3+ where he'll start in the fall--though they try to familiarize the...
I'm a beginning sewer--the only projects that I've completed with decent results have been with extensive help from my mom--and want to work on some projects this summer. I want to find fabrics that are easy to work with yet wrinkle-resistant. I wanted to make some kind of shawl or simple jacket out of fleece, but also would like ideas for more lightweight fabrics.
Quote: Actually, Lucy didn't have a name for the first week. I was pulling for Ivy, and DH still wanted Nora. We ended up compromising on her first name. Her full name is L T (VeryKazakhLastName)ova. So I figure with the patronymic and that crazy (to my American ears!) last name, it's Kazakh enough We never considered a patronymic--Myktybekovich/ovna would be a real mouthful! Plus dh thought that ds having his last name was enough. My SIL who lives...
Quote: What I have a problem with is stereotypes. Like that Russians overbundle their children. Wear house dresses and house shoes. Put socks on children no matter what. Eat tons of potatoes. To me, knowing about these stereotypes serves a practical purpose, especially for those who haven't lived in Russia/the FSU. I don't think my MIL really knew what to expect before she came to visit us the first time--so I felt more obligated to create a...
Quote: (She's also always chasing us with socks, trying to put them on the baby no matter how warm it is in here). That is so true! When my MIL came to stay with us, it was August, but she kept putting socks on ds! Plus it's kind of rubbed off on me--I don't let him go barefoot as often as other kids, for sure. What a beautiful little girl, and a pretty name, too! How'd you get away with a non-Kazakh name?
The dentist I see is in downtown Mpls, but I have a co-worker who is very happy with Ronald King who has a clinic on Excelsior Blvd.