or Connect

Posts by LookMommy!

We've got kosher McDs here (not all of them) plus some serve Israeli salad (cucumber/tomato/herbs with olive oil and lemon). I haven't ever been in one, but they are not cheap! here are the menus around the world http://trifter.com/practical-travel/...und-the-world/
Quote: Originally Posted by chimomma The other thing about Judaism that I have a hard time with is first that the women cannot read the torah. . Absolutely positively incorrect. While there are some far-right streams of Judaism that believe that teaching a woman Talmud (legal commentators on the Torah, very complicated) is not appropriate, I have never ever heard of a stream in Judaism saying that women cannot learn the Torah. Unless you...
There is an herbal med. sold in Israel called "Tzom Kal" or something like that that supposedly makes fasting easier. That being said, I never fast. I have low blood sugar and low blood pressure, and I faint/get headaches, etc. I know that is not really an excuse, and no rabbi would give me a heter on that, but I just can't bring myself to do it. [where is that bag on head smiley??] My son is newly bar mitzvah and will definitely want to fast (my daughter is 15...
Also, where do you live? I don't know how it is at every shul (synagogue), but at ours, each week a long-time member makes an announcement that any visitors who would like to join a family for a Shabbat meal should feel free to appraoch him and he will make the arrangements (for that day, or for the future). hachansat orchim - the mitzvah of inviting guests is taken seriously by most Jewish communities (like you are doing them a favor, and not the reverse), and most will...
Start off easy. You can always add more, and you will get a new chance every 7 days. Friday morning or aft - bake or buy challah. If you have a bread machine, it is very easy to just make dough, and let the little ones help braid it, paint it with egg wash, and top with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. There is a blessing you can make on the challah if it is homemade. Or buy challah, and an extra for the freezer for when you forget next time. Put a white tablecloth...
That's one of the best parts of Judaism - the stuff! I love browsing the Judaica stores... Although Jewish children's books defintely tie with stuff. Not necessarily in a materialistic way - our favorite ritual objects are pretty much homemade by the kids in kindergarten. But we do have many beautiful items from our wedding and gifts we give ourselves for our anniversary. It is considered positive to use the most beautiful items you can to "beautify the mitzvah"...
It seems like a lot of posters are suggesting a break from the kids, but when my kids were that age (and now, 10 years later) what would have been most helpful was a break from the house. The house doesn't care who cleans it, and housecleaning is more time consuming and exhausting than child rearing, imo. We make an effort once a month to get the house cleaned, get takeout pizza, and watch a movie ( after they went to bed, or now that they are older, with them). It...
Come to the Jewish Mama's forum and you'll feel better. We are turning the house inside out for Passover. Scrubbing every nook and cranny. Then cooking a few hundred meals for a week-long feast, with guests. Oh yes, it's supposed to make us feel "liberated" from slavery in Egypt. Just kidding. Housework is never ending, no matter what your religion. Any room in the budget for cleaning help once a week or once a month? It makes a huge difference. Lisa
I believe it is not a hay yud, it is a hay apostrophe. That stands for HaShem, "The name" - it is a euphemism for G-d's holy name. Way to go on the nikud (punctuation/ vowels)!! I wish my dd's Israeli 2nd grade teacher was so knowledgeable! (Israelis don't bother with nikud, except for poetry, so most are very ignorant). You might be able to find a free course by Hillel called "Reading Hebrew in 5 easy lessons". I used to teach it, years ago. Or maybe a Rabbi or...
I'm sure if you go up to anyone and say nicely, "I'm new here. Can you help me find my way around?" they will be more than happy to help out. Just stand when everyone stands (they will probably bend their knees and bow slighly at some points, but no big deal if you skip it for now) and sit when they sit and you'll be fine. Mumble when they sing, and be quiet during the silent meditations. (Usually Reform congregations are more orderly than Orthodox, so everyone is...