or Connect

Posts by Freeman

Thanks to all for the replies! Very interesting. His memory is really, really good. One of the things that first stood out to me about him is that he would memorize the language of long books from hearing me read them before he could read. He can also memorize spelling words and other subject matter easily...Reading & math abilities strong...It is primarily the written output and the "natural" ability to spell where he seems to struggle...punctuation not really...
Hello! I am writing about something that has become more noticeable and frustrating to me since the start of this school year (I noticed it last year too, though). My ds is in 4th grade. He always does great on spelling "tests," but his natural spelling ability seems terrible to me! He is a great reader, and I assumed his spelling would be better because he is seeing the same words over and over while he is reading. That is how I remember learning to spell, by remembering...
Thank you for the link, ollyoxenfree. You know, I haven't really thought much about those pencil grips and triangular pencils for a long time - prob. not since he was in Kind. or 1st grade...but maybe it's time to try them again. He is pretty strong/sturdy, so I don't think it's weak shoulder muscles. As an aside, I have a kindergartner who is soooo particular about his writing - it is like night and day!
Thanks to all for your wonderful suggestions! I will try to help him find his purpose in writing, and hopefully then he will be more motivated and willing.   I think there is some of this going on w/ ds. He likes to be done quickly w/ assignments, and just the act of handwriting itself takes more time & effort. I wonder if the output will increase a lot when he starts typing assignments?   I have frequently heard, "It hurts my hand..." Seems to grip the pencil pretty...
Hello, I have not been on MDC in a long time but recently re-discovered it. My son, who will be going into 4th grade, did the library summer reading program this summer. He completed those requirements and then kept right on reading other books. However, he has done little writing, and that is one of the things I meant to work w/ him on this summer. He will read thick books beyond his grade level but will complain about having to summarize the book or write anything...
For those of you mentioning school testing - I am curious whether your school actually administers an individual IQ test. Both the school my children attend and the public school system test for advanced/gifted programs and/or in-class enrichment based on results of achievement testing. At my children's school, they do use a subsection of the "Terra Nova" achievement test to test for the enrichment program. I noticed that my child's score on this section changed by...
I also think the Terra Nova is an achievement test, but it sounds like that's the test that the OP's school uses to determine entry into the gifted program.   OP - Can you send in more challenging work that he does enjoy? What do you think has caused him to talk non-stop when he was formerly painfully shy?
This is interesting... I believe that "red-shirting" is a lot more common in private schools here than in public...When you think about it, it can be seen as more of a "luxury" to be able to either afford child-care or pre-school for that extra year that the child is supposed to be in K or not work that year, etc., when compared to sending a child to a public school when age-eligible. I don't think that the public pre-schools here allow children to be age-eligible for K...
Yes, it must depend on where you are. I can't think of any private schools here that allow children to start K early. I can think of a few that moved their cutoff date up, though (one to June 1!) I'm not sure if they make exceptions or not. I never asked about early entry, since ds was already going to be "young for grade."  
IME, it's not just the parents. Schools push it too, esp. private schools. Some change their cutoff dates to be several months earlier than the public schools and have a "junior kindergarten" set up to accommodate those who are younger (providing another year of tuition!) One school encouraged me to "give the gift of time," but I am glad that I didn't. Each child is different, though, and I would never argue that red-shirting is wrong in every situation. IMO, too many do...