or Connect

Posts by ksmeadowlark

I have had serious GI issues for 3 months, was tested for all sorts of infections by family doctor with no results. I asked for food allergy testing and they did the bloodwork, but no one in the office was very familiar with the tests. I called for results and my dr's nurse was out, and the nurse on call read me the results but admitted she didn't know what they meant. I tested as "equivocal" for cow's milk allergy. I looked this up and interpreted it to mean...
Wow, this is one of the most interesting threads I have read in a long time!
Our insurance company is offering a complete health and wellness screening and biometric bloodwork tomorrow. I fasted for it but now I am kind of freaking out about giving up a blood sample voluntarily to my insurance company. They say it will help them to understand the needs of their insurees, but I feel a little strange, still. There is a $100 incentive to do it, so ... The thing is, I am very health conscious and have lost 27 lbs over the past 2 yrs. I work out...
My DS was in a nut-free classroom for a year and it was hard, as he was such a peanut-butter fan, and also vegetarian. We ended up subbing lots of cheese quesadillas but he did get tired of those. I am a teacher and had a student with a peanut allergy. The nurse and student thought it would be best to reassign this student to another activity when we needed to use peanut butter (for a science lab). Then the student got all bent out of shape about not being included...
I am not a big bfast person myself either. One of my personal favs--a toasted whole wheat english muffin with a slice of melted cheese inside. Just posted this for using up ripe bananas: Smoothies To make a smoothie, I grab -a frozen banana -two frozen cubes of Odwalla (or other nutrient-dense smoothie blend, I usually get the dark purple berry type, freeze in an ice tray, and store in ziploc in freezer) -handful of frozen strawberries or blueberries -plain...
I am a teacher so I am getting ready to go back to work while I get my son ready to go back to school. I love to cook and bake, but mostly in the summer when I have time. Please share healthy snack ideas for lunches and beyond here if you have something awesome. I love collecting recipes and trying them out when not crunched for time!
I vote for smoothies too! I bought a 4-5 lb bag of overripe bananas the other day for 49 cents. WOOHOO! I buy some of the Odwalla or other similar brand purple juice/smoothie (a berry blend) and freeze it into ice cubes--it is very dense on nutrients, fruits, etc. It is expensive, but goes a long way this way. To make a smoothie, I grab -a frozen banana -two frozen cubes of Odwalla -handful of frozen strawberries or blueberries -plain lowfat yogurt -Vruit...
When they get dark, they are sweeter. We slice them up and pan fry them in butter, cinnamon, and a little brown sugar.
We always use pecans. Pine nuts are so expensive, and my mom gives me heaps of pecans every year from back home!
http://www.kcby.com/features/gourmet/7611297.html This recipe originally appeared in Gourmet, I believe. It is my favorite use for garbanzo beans, so delicious and refreshing in the summer. I am making it for a cookout on Saturday!!! I open a can of chipotles, take what I need, and then freeze the rest until I need them again. You can scrape out what you need from the frozen chilies pretty easily.