or Connect

Posts by peacemama

Linda In Arizona, I know exactly what you mean! Some parents of girls get so carried away with the "gender equality" thing that they actually treat "girls' toys" like they are bad, and "boys' toys" like they are the preferred thing. All types of play have value, and to not let a girl dress up in a tutu if she wants to is just as bad as telling her she can't play baseball because it's for boys. Kids should be allowed to choose the activities they enjoy. My three year...
Just for the record, my dd loves to climb on things and sometimes jump off, too. You know what I really hate? When people "warn" dh of his scary future job of protecting dd from all the boys that will supposedly be lining up outside our door...you know, "Oh, dude, you're gonna have to run them off with a baseball bat..." Somehow these comments creep me out, as if these guys are already thinking of my dd as a sex object.
I think so, too, paula bear. And I feel sorry for the future kindergarten teachers of these kids (I can't help but think like that, as I'm a teacher, too!). There is a group of four or five very wild boys in dd's class at preschool and she tells me about it all the time. I've seen the leniency of their parents at playdates and birthday parties, so it seems that they fall into this particular categiry we're describing. It makes school a less secure place for her than it...
My dd (age 3) is extremely attached to her doll - it's a soft pink velour thing she's had since she was a baby. She told me the other day that "Sophie is my best friend and I love her so much." She has conversations with her (she uses a special "Sophie voice") in which she plays both parts. Sophie watches her take a bath, eat her meals, and so on. i used to worry that she was too attached to it, but when we are out of the house she is perfectly happy to leave Sophie in...
I tend to be the gender bias police - I even wrote my master's thesis on gender bias in elementary school classrooms! I think that there is most likely just as much variation within a gender as there is between genders; so that one girl is just as different from another girl as she is from a boy. I think that each child is truly an individual. I agree that the messages society gives regarding gender roles are inavoidable, but like anything else, we arm our kids with...
Mamabug, that "Mary Foley" things is too funny! So is "dimmy flicker." I can't figure out the origins of those! Eve Ensler's "Gladys Seigelman" was pretty funny, too.
Thanks, mamabug! I'm still looking for a picture of you and me from my wedding to send to you...you're a hottie too !!! He says they look like MARBLES??? Gee, he says the sweetest things...:LOL
OMG, Amulet, I don't know if it's just the picture, but your dh looks exactly like my college boyfriend! That's a compliment, because he was a hottie!
I agree that the idea that kids need special "kid food" is a huge part of the problem. Also, in regards to your comment about breastfed babies having their palates trained, kama'aina mama, I've heard that breastfed babies tend to be less picky because the taste of breastmilk changes depending on the mother's diet while formula always tastes exactly the same - has anyone else heard this? Not that there aren't picky breastfed kids or non-picky bottlefed ones, but just...
jbcjmom, how about Bugnut????